Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
bx5bma

8979a29

Hi, I bought an 8979A29 in September.  It runs really slow.  It has 975mb ram and 146 gb harddrive.  It always sounds as if there is a program running in the background.  Do I need to disable windows defender?  Thanks, bx5bma

Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

Re: 8979a29

1GB memory for Windows Vista is at the lower end. Adding another 1GB should see quite an improvement.
Since you run Vista Business, you probably got a set of XP restore disks in case you want to downgrade.
XP will run a lot smoother on your machine.
Before you do that, make a set of Restore disks, using R&R, so you can always put Vista back on.
Paper Tape
bx5bma

hi there, thanks for your comments.  I wondered about that.  I don't need vista business and I find it frustrating at best.  I am going to take your advice and add 1GB memory and change to XP.  I do have XP since I use it at work, I do find it easier to not have to switch between the two.

Lenovo Employee
shumpert

[ Edited ]
One option that I took advantage of to further increase my Vista performance has been to add a USB Memory Key.

I purchased a TurboBoost certified 4GB memory key and installed it in vista.  It's a very easy process to get a little added boost in system performance.  I would recomend that you still get that base memory upgraded to a minimum of 2GB.  My system at home is running 4GB for system memory and the additional 4GB Memory key for the caching boost.

I won't recreate the wheel and post a complete instruction guide on how this is done.  There is a very good video on Youtube showing both ways.

One last thing...Don't forget to disable services you don't need on your system.

Message Edited by shumpert on 01-18-2008 04:24 PM

Ed Shumpert
Thinkcentre/Desktops Launch Readiness Program Manager
US Service & Support
JaneL

shumpert wrote:

One last thing...Don't forget to disable services you don't need on your system.

That's a nice handy list.  Someone at TabletPC was asking for suggestions the other day - I'll pass this link along to them.  Thanks!

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Lenovo Employee
shumpert

For an even more indepth listing of Vista Services (including what they are for, the results of turning them off, and more) try here.  This is not a Lenovo document but one that I use a lot.

Ed Shumpert
Thinkcentre/Desktops Launch Readiness Program Manager
US Service & Support