Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Mike_Lynch

Anyone using a SSD with XP-Pro? Does it work OK?

I'm tempted but not really understanding the technology, I'm looking for some feedback.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch 

Guru
outouser

Re: Anyone using a SSD with XP-Pro? Does it work OK?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have Lenovo X300 that has build in 64GB SDD drive. Windows xp works just like it was installed to normal harddrive some time even faster.

Message Edited by outouser on 02-03-2009 02:49 PM
What's DOS?
reneta

Hello Mike,

I work for SanDisk in the SSD group.

SSDs are a drop-in replacement for the hard drives, and work well with XP Pro. Actually OS with a SSD works faster than one with a hard drive.

You can learn more about the technology in our SSD academy - http://www.driveyourlaptop.com/ssd-academy-intro.

Thanks,

Reneta

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,323
Solutions: 285

Reneta,

Welcome to our community!   I hope that you will visit from time to time and share your knowledge on SSDs and some of their benefits in terms of reliability, sustained throughput and longevity.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
reneta

Hello Mark!

Thanks for the warm welcome :-) I would love to share the SSD knowledge with the community.

You are also welcome to visit in our SSD IT community on Facebook where we are talking and addressing various SSD topics: http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/group.php?gid=50924558252.

Kind regards,

Reneta

802.11n
AGoodSolution

Do everything in 1/6th the time, cold boot XP in 15 seconds from the OS choice to Start Button and Logon sound. I've witnessed MaC PowerBooks and Slax boot up like light bulbs and less than five seconds on OCZ's and Intel X18's and X25's.  SSD's store data in memory cells and most often those cells can only be used once for writing data and read for retrieval as often as you'd like.  Microsoft Windows is a busy operating system constantly accessing drives and touching files and some thoughtful steps will help you realize the maximum life expectancy of your SSD measured by decades instead of years.

Most SSD's read faster than they write but either operation is so fast it is hard to tell the difference and the same as comparing the speed of a Koenig to a Ferrari, always a photo finish.

You can migrate a spindle to SSD in short order and w/o tuning but with appreciable improvements.

Some worthy steps will further  improve SSD migration and permanently boost performance and lifespan while familiarizing the user with SSD vulnerabilities and some precautions:

-Be disciplined about backups, unlike spindles SSD's aren't easily nor inexpensively recovered in case of hardware failure. A spindle can be opened if necessary and have its platters reloaded into a new drive chassis. A spindle drive has a bottom PCB which can frequently cause problems and be replaced for $50 and repaired with a screwdriver.

Most SSD's are monolithic and any PCB issues aren't likely to be fixed by you. The SSD's flash cells are often irretrievable if damaged since the principals of magnetism and resonance used to recover spindled data doesn't apply here.

Backing your SSD up to your old spindle ensures recovery of vital data and a working laptop if your SSD or software experiences issues.

-Follow some tips and disable disk hogging functions such as prefetch and other typical windows functions that will shorten an SSD's lifespan, research elsewhere for specirics. Don't defrag it and research why.

- If you don't plan to keep spindles in your system then disable Thinkvantage "AirBag" drive protection, it isn't necessary for an SSD and can only slow things down.

-Disable Memory Paging / Swap space since the SSD completes operations almost instantly and eliminate the necessity of virtual paged RAM.

- Ensure you don't have thermal / cooling issues and blast out any dust from the fans and openings, download TPFanControl if you aren't using it already.

- Use Device Manager or equivalent to disable write caching and configure your SSD's for "quick removal", aside from blazing performance which eliminates the necessity of caching, many SSD's have HUGE cache's, the Intel X25's have 128MB of transient volatile cache vs 8 and 16MB cache's for spindle drives and 128MB is alot of data to be lost in a system crash if Windows is lazily flushing the cache. SSD's are fanatical about flushing but the risk is avoidable with a simple setting and reboot.

- SSD's are sensitive to power fluctuations and can become damaged from power hiccups that spindles have better chances of surviving, IF YOUR CURRENT BATTERY HAS ANY ISSUES OR YOU SUSPECT IT ISN'T BEHAVING NORMALLY THAN AVOID USING IT WITH YOUR SSD. Faulty power brick issues are typically intercepted by the battery but not always and replacing a $40 brick or $120 battery is better than ruining a $400 SSD.

ALWAYS REMOVE ALL BATTERIES AND POWER WHENEVER POSSIBLE WHEN REMOVING AND INSERTING SSD'S TO AVOID RISK OF ELECTRICAL DAMAGE.

SSD's are hot swappable and ensure the ability to insert and remove ultrabay devices smoothly, a  sloppy person who lazily inserts or removes their devices and successfully soft ejects a device but jiggles it back and forth into connection  and disconnection will smoke an SSD in no time.

--Be prepared to actually raise system temp and shorten battery DURATION, despite the common advertised benefits of lower power consumption and less heat .... SSD's and their blazing I/O will challenge the CPU to run hotter and heavier since application and system tasks are finishing faster than ever. The faster I/O throttles the CPU but doesn't bog it or create sluggishness..while your system is responsive and working amazingly fast, your CPU utilization may stay at 100% like an athlete at peak pulse.

You can use Power Manager to set your system into a power saving / performance adjusting mode but you won't for long after experiencing what full SSD performance feels like..... buy extra batteries.

Others have confirmed Lenovo's less than honest SATA 2 compliance on T6x's and others, but the anecdotal difference is two seconds at most and the dif between an SSD on SATA 1 vs SATA 2 is like comparing Mackintosh speakers to Kenwood,only an oscilloscope can discern between the two while your ears can't tell.  A noticeable improvement occurs when operating in faster AHCI mode vs Compatibility Mode on SATA1 or SATA II bus.

-Some have reported increased performance by resizing their NTFS clusters down to 512bytes and the smallest possible, installed systems typically require Partition Margic to accomplish this task or prepare to reformat your existing partitions, we've noticed about a one second performance improvement and the time consuming task of resizing clusters in a populated partition may not be worth the hassle for most end users. If you remain insistent on shrinking your cluster size, consider copying off / backup up your installed system then reformatting your SSD and copy / restore your backup and this alternative to Partition Magic won't strip off as much lifespan since copying and restoring entire partitions is still less I/O than a Partition Magic job of backup / resize, / backup, resize, etc..

- Finally, it is possible to experience "Write Cache failed / data has been lost" errors and with increased frequency for those systems already afflicted with cache issues on spindles ...or the first time if you don't typically experience the problem. This is frequent when performing simultaneous operations with large files such as multiple copies of 1GB+ files or when executing singular / multiple operations of tiny file sizes. Installing Dragon Naturally Speaking seems to create this bug since DNS installer seems to work with large and small files at the same time and stresses the Windows memory manager.

It is a combination of Windows memory cache management being throttled like never before by a hard drive that glides and challenges the CPU.  It can be quickly and often fixed by adjusting the system performance profile from Server mode to Workstation mode and vice versa but setting your systems bias from its current state to the opposite and a reboot will often resolve the write cache errors.

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
What's DOS?
no8080

have a Corsair Xtreme SSDRe: Anyone using a SSD with XP-Pro? Does it work OK?

I have a Corsair Extreme SSD. I installed XP Pro from scratch rather than clone my existing drive.

After installing all the drivers and basic programs like AV and antispyware my PC takes under 2 seconds to get to the logon screen after the BIOS has finished. It takes 1 second to get the fully loaded desktop after I enter my password.

The most important thing I have found with SSD HD's is that you need to check the Read/Write speed of the model you want. Many manufacturers claim read speed of 200MB plus, but this only applies to 128GB models and above. Most people will get a 32GB or 64GB and not many drives in this size have decent Read/Write speed. Next step is to make sure the SSD has a minimum of 64MB of cache. Simple tweaks in XP will help with the longevity of your SSD.

My average Read speed is around 130MB per second, were as my old HD averaged at 15MB per second. Also traditional HD performance decreases over time, SSD performance should not, hopefully.

I won't be going back to a tradional HD any more, SSD for me from now now! 

Neil