Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Doug_in_NNY
Accepted Solution

Can I use eSATA connecter on M91p motherboard for a 3rd internal hard drive?

I have a 7052-B2U M91p with four SATA connectors on the motherboard: two are SATA 6.0, one is SATA 3.0 and one is eSATA.  Two hard drives and one SATA DVD burner use the three SATA connectors. 

Is there a straightforward way to employ the eSATA connector for an additional internal hard drive? How is this eSATA connector different from the others, practically speaking?

Or was this connector simply meant to power an eSATA connector on a back plate at the rear of the computer?

Thanks for your helpfulness.

Doug

802.11n
TheDude

Re: Can I use eSATA connecter on M91p motherboard for a 3rd internal hard drive?

just intended to pass-through to the back plate.  It should work just fine.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Punch Card
Johnzee

Re: Can I use eSATA connecter on M91p motherboard for a 3rd internal hard drive?

That's good to know as I use esata and purused some Lenovos without esata =-little did I know it might reside right there on mobo

Punch Card
Doug_in_NNY

Thanks to TheDude.

A question for further clarification:  While the eSata connector on the motherboard is *intended* to be used as a source connection for an external eSata connector on the back of the computer, is there a problem using it directly for a hard drive internally?  Is it, say, powered differently than Sata connectors, so as to preclude its use for directly connecting to an internal hard drive?  Or is there some kind of specialized cable that is needed to link the eSata connector directly to a hard drive? 

I am not clear in my research on how eSata connectors differ from Sata connectors.  That's where my question is coming from.

Pardon my ignorance.  Over my lifetime I've learned by asking.  So I ask those who know more than I do.  I run a small business, and have to do most computer things myself.

Token Ring
Prophecy28

There's no problem at all using it as your main harddrive connection. In fact, I've got my main hard drive hooked into it right now. See, I bought the same exact system you did and put an extremely long video card in it. Because of the poor lay out of the mobo, it blocks both top sata ports. So I forced to plug them in to the 3.0 and Esata ports respecitvely. Haven't any problems from this at all.