Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
kristin7522

DVD Drive issues with A700

Hi there!

I am having problems with my DVD drive in my A700 machine. The drive is a Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7640S. When I put in in a disk I hear the drive spin but when I click to open the drive in My Computer it prompts to insert a disk and ejects the one in there, sometimes it will show two drives one as DVD and one as CD. I have tried many different types of disks as well as using the Lenovo Toolbox, which also asks me to insert a disk. I have removed the DVD drive in the device manager and reinstalled, the driver is listed as being Microsoft and up-to-date.

I have not been able to locate a different driver for this device even off of Sony's website the product is not listed. I considered a possibilty of a bad lens and wanted to replace the drive but notice that there is a seperate eject button in the casing of my machine, powered from the board. This DVD drive has the eject button to the far right and most that I am finding are off-center. Has anyone experienced this issue and believe it to be a driver problem and know where to get a driver? Or if I need to replace the drive can I use any notebook SATA drive or does it have to be this model because of the button in the casing?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: DVD Drive issues with A700

[ Edited ]

hey kristin7522,

welcome to the forums.

i do find it weird that in My Computer it shows two optical drives when clearly you only have one and thus i would like you to get into device manager and uninstall the current driver for the DVD drive.

this should then prompt windows to install generic drivers, let it do so.

try again.

if this does not work, head over to http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=399423

check your system and if there is anything out of date; update it.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Blue Screen Again
kristin7522

Hi there,

Thank you for the advice.  I have tried on uninstalling the driver and reinstalling previously, but I did try it again. I reinstalled the generic driver and the drive still did not work. I have checked the updated drivers from Lenovo but I do not see one available for the DVD drive. I have also tried searching the internet for a driver with no luck. I think I am at the point where I will just try replacing the drive. Can I only use the same drive brand and model because of the eject button on the side panel molding or will any drive work?

Retired Employee
Serge1410

[ Edited ]

any brand should work.

though i would recommend bringing the whole unit and test it out there.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.