Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
chochi

Dual Monitor setup for M58e?

Hey guys, 

I bought a batch of ThinkCenter M58e's(7259-B1U) and need to get them up and running with dual monitor displays... 

I bought the ATI Radeon HD 3470(45K1636) Video Card and then the Lenovo ADD2 DVI-D Monitor Connection Adapter (43R1985) per my sales reps advice. 

My monitors are VGA Lenovo L171p's. The onboard monitor works, but I just cant get the second to turn on. Im using the Windows XP native display settings to enable the second screen, but it wont. The cards detected in the Device Manager... 

Is there something Im missing with this new DID feature? Is there a card/dongle that I can get to turn this into a dual monitor computer? 

Thanks in advance for your help... 

What's DOS?
spaz

Re: Dual Monitor setup for M58e?

I had this same issue with the newer M58E or 7258-B3U also.  What I found was that when a video adapter is inserted into the PCI-Express slot (black connector on these machines) instead of the PCI slot (White connector) the PC automatically disables the onboard video card.  We purchased the Jaton nVidia GeForce 8400 GS cards which have two video ports (one VGA and one DVI)  but the kit comes with a DVI to VGA converters so you can use two VGA monitors as a dual monitor setup.  You don't use the onboard video card at all.  Works great.  Hope this helps.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,316

Re: Dual Monitor setup for M58e?

chochi wrote:

Hey guys, 

I bought a batch of ThinkCenter M58e's(7259-B1U) and need to get them up and running with dual monitor displays... 

I bought the ATI Radeon HD 3470(45K1636) Video Card and then the Lenovo ADD2 DVI-D Monitor Connection Adapter (43R1985) per my sales reps advice. 

My monitors are VGA Lenovo L171p's. The onboard monitor works, but I just cant get the second to turn on. Im using the Windows XP native display settings to enable the second screen, but it wont. The cards detected in the Device Manager... 

Is there something Im missing with this new DID feature? Is there a card/dongle that I can get to turn this into a dual monitor computer? 

Thanks in advance for your help... 

Can't you get the second monitor working with the ADD2 DVI-D adapter? The ADD2 card works in conjunction with the onboard integrated GPU not with your ATI 3470 graphics card.

The ATI 3470 graphics card that you mentioned has a displayport and vga out. If you need to run 2 vga monitor from that, then you would need to get a displayport to vga adapter.

Dell sells them for around 27 dollars.

Lenovo also sells them not sure about the price. But here is the part number

DisplayPort to VGA monitor cable (57Y4393)

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft