Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
philm77
Accepted Solution

Dual monitors problem - VGA and Displayport

Hi

We have recently purchased a number of Thinkcentre M58 machines, and are having problems getting dual monitors to work with these machines. We are setting them up with one monitor connected to the VGA port and a 2nd monitor connected to the Displayport via a Displayport to VGA dongle.

The problem is that the 2nd monitor on the Displayport will not wake. POST is displayed on the 1st monitor, and when Windows has loaded, only the 1st monitor shows a display, while the 2nd monitor remains in sleep mode.

In display settings it is possible to activate the 2nd monitor, at which point it wakes up and the user can continue using both screens. If the user shuts down or restarts the machine they have to manually activate the 2nd monitor every time they log in.

The same thing happens on Windows XP and Windows 7 machines, and I have also tried using a number of different monitors, all of which have the same problem.

Has anyone else experienced issues in getting the 2nd monitor on the Displayport to work correctly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Phil

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: Dual monitors problem - VGA and Displayport

have you tried to update the bios menu?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
philm77

Hi

I have checked BIOS and all the settings seem correct - the only available setting seems to be to set the initial display adapter, but I have tried all options. 

The BIOS version corresponds with the November 2010 version listed in downloads on this website, so I assume that it is up to date.

In case it helps, the full model number is M58, machine type 6258.

Thanks again

Phil

Fanfold Paper
philm77

[ Edited ]

Hi again.. Just wondering if anyone has any further suggestions on this one. I am really struggling to get the 2nd screen on displayport working properly. I have tried everything I can think of - the BIOS is up to date, I have tried all available BIOS settings, the device drivers are up to date, I have tried different monitors and I have tried replacing the displayport to VGA dongle, all to no avail.

I know that the displayport does work, because if you go into display settings and manually activate the 2nd display, then it wakes. The problem is that it will not wake up automatically. Whenever the PC is restarted the 2nd monitor remains in sleep mode until you enter display settings and wake it up.

I currently have about 15 users with these PCs all experiencing the same issue!

Thanks again for any advice...

lead_org

what OS are you running?
Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
philm77

[ Edited ]

Some of the affected PCs are on XP, some on Windows 7. The issue is affecting both OS in the same way..

Edit: To be more specific, the XP machines are XP Pro 32 bit, service pack 3. The Windows 7 machines are Windows 7 Enterprise, 32 bit. Also, just to add to the list of things I have tried - I just tried using a Displayport to DVI dongle and connecting to the DVI port on the monitor rather than VGA  but still no luck.

lead_org

What if you boot the machines with only a monitor connected to the displayport and not the VGA port. Does it work then.
Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
philm77

Hi... I have just tried that this morning on two of the machines - I disconnected the monitor attached to the VGA port and booted with only the displayport connected. In both cases, the monitor woke on boot and displayed correctly.

lead_org

make sure you set the primary display device to the displayport, and then connect your vga port.
Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
philm77

Hi again

Thanks very much for your help, this appears to have solved the problem. It seems it is necessary to connect the primary monitor to the displayport - I was trying to use the displayport for the extended monitor and the VGA device as primary. In addition, the displayport needs to be set as the primary device in BIOS, and also in Windows display settings.

It's obvious once you know.... :smileyhappy:

Thanks again for your efforts..

Regards

Phil