Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
CortesDiddy

First Monitor with DVI-Displayport keeps losing signal (Geforce 310) (M90p)

Hi there. I am working with two monitors. The first is a ViewSonic VX2250wm LED monitor, connected to the desktop (Lenovo ThinkCentre M90p) via a

DVI
(in monitor) to Displayport (Desktop) cable. The card is an Nvidia Geforce 310.

The second monitor is VGA.

Every so often, the ViewSonic's signal goes out. At first I thought it was the DVI/
Displayport
adaptor, but upon getting a new cable the problem persisted. I then assumed it was the latest Nvidia driver update, so I rolled back. The monitor's signal returned for a few days, but then eventually lost its signal again.

This process repeats every time I install an older driver: the monitor comes back, but eventually dies. I am trying to figure out what is the cause of this problem. AFAIK it cannot be the Displayport as the Geforce is compatible. I have concluded it must be the ViewSonic monitor.

Any help as to what may cause this loss of signal would be appreciated. I have a feeling it might be because I have not used an 'active' adapter and only have used passive ones. 
I just wish this information wasn't so vague and hard to find.  Displayport hasn't really taken off that well, has it? 
tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: First Monitor with DVI-Displayport keeps losing signal (Geforce 310) (M90p)

Kindly set the display resolution to  1366*768 and set the Nvidia display to multiple display.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Fanfold Paper
CortesDiddy

The native resolution is 1920x 1080 for the Viewsonic and 1280x 1024 for the Dell E196FP. Is this really the only solution?

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi CortesDiddy,

There is possibility that you may want to check if you the drivers for the monitor installed. There are times whereby the graphocs card will require all display drivers to be installed in order to function accurate. I suggest to give that a try and see how it goes.

Do let me know on the update.

regards

Fanfold Paper
CortesDiddy

[ Edited ]

The Viewsonic drivers are current. I also turned off sleep settings in Win7, updated the Lenovo BIOS and Nvidida drivers as well. Note that is only a problem with the DVI-Displayport Monitor; the second VGA monitor has never lost its signal. 

I am increasingly thinking that the problem is the monitor, but then I find things like these on this site:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=SF11-D0012%20

and also wonder if it is due to the displayport for the GPU instead. But I still am not sure if that above problem is the same as mine, since I only lose the signal a while after the computer and display have been on, not after turning off the monitor.

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi CortesDiddy,

I checked out the fix, i think its worth giving it a shot as it is almost the same as what you are are facing but only in a diffrent manor. At dispoint its a bit hard hard for me to determined what causes it. I had initally thought about what you said in regards to the display port of the GPU, but after verifying with the link you posted that may be the soluton there.

By the way may i know what exactly you did that possibly may trigger for the display to shut? Were you just surfing the net normally or were you working on a specific project that require high processing?