Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
asniadow
Accepted Solution

How do I recover original system after replacing hard disk?

I recently purchased a used ThinkCentre M59 (8187-34U) from the IBM used equipment program. It has come with Windows XP Pro preinstalled, and does not have re-installation media.  I have several questions.

1.  The system has the IBM Recovery Program installed on a hidden partition.  I have installed a DVD R/W drive.   Can I somehow burn recovery media onto a DVD or CD from this partition?

2.  If I replace the hard disk with a larger one and install XP Pro from a retail CD, how can I use the OEM product key provided with the system?

3.  Is recovery media available from Lenovo/IBM to restore the system to its original configuration for a reasonable fee?

I would like to build a dual boot system with Fedora Linux and Windows XP Pro, without losing the original pre-installed software and XP license.

802.11n
netnubar

Re: How do I recover original system after replacing hard disk?

Hello asniadow,

1. You will be able to create recovery media (DVD or CD) by using the Thinkvantage application that should be installed on your computer.

2. I'm not sure about this one... wouldn't the retail package have its own product key to be entered?

3. Yes... it's best to call them up to find out the cost.  However, your recovery media, once created, should be able to do the job.

Hope this helps.

Punch Card
asniadow

Hi netnubar,

Thanks for the quick response to my query.  Unfortunately, my system did not come with the Thinkvantage application.  Instead, I have something called Product Recovery Program.  Looks like it only can do a system recovery from a reserved partition on the disk.  

I do not have a spare unused xp pro license, but I do have a couple of xp pro cd's from other systems.  That is why I cannot use the retail package.  It is already installed on another system.  This Thinkcenter M50 came with the xp license, and that is what I would like to reuse after either blowing away the present configuration and reloading with room for Fedora linux, or installing a bigger drive and doing the same.  

I tried looking for a download of the Thinkvantage application, but it is a $60 application, and I am not sure it would work with my configuration.

Do you have any other idea's?

802.11n
netnubar

[ Edited ]

Hello asniadow,

$60... really?  Since when? :smileysurprised:

Have a look here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?subcategoryind=0&familyind=121123&brandind=11&...

Select "Rescue and Recovery 4.21 for Windows XP".  It should be a free download.  Install it and try to create the recovery media.  If it fails, I'll send you a personal message (PM) with another suggestion.

If my link does not work (happens sometimes), enter your product no. (8187-34U) on the 'Support & downloads' page and then click 'go'.  Then select 'Downloads and drivers' and look for Rescue and Recovery 4.21.

Message Edited by netnubar on 01-09-2009 09:48 PM
Punch Card
asniadow

Thank you for the pointer!  I am downloading it now, and if it works out, I will be indebted to you!  I will keep you posted.  Thanks again!!!!!
Punch Card
asniadow

Hello netnubar,

Thank you very much for your assistance.  I successfully downloaded Rescue and Recovery V4.21 from the Lenovo website, installed it, and created a CD/DVD set of backups and restored the system to another disk drive.  I am all set now.  Thank you very much, and thanks to the Lenovo crew that supports this site.