Support in other languages: 
JaneL

Re: Lenovo not honoring its Warranty.

[ Edited ]

AG001 wrote:

Also "A technician isn't required to change the hard drive, it's possible to do this yourself."

Did you ever pop a tape out of a VCR and insert another one?  It's about that hard.  Most users prefer doing that rather than sending their system in to have the HDD replaced.

BTW, AndyP doesn't work for Lenovo.  He's one of the many volunteers here in the forum who try to help users like you solve their problems.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Punch Card
AG001

[ Edited ]

Jane, I am curious if people would really have so many posting without any relation with Lenovo. But in any case the popping up tape analogy is nonsense. I do not know who you are trying to fool and if one should believe you have no relation with IBM.

You know, Lenovo may be a big company but at some level internet flattens the world so please do respect this. Arrogance can be really very damaging thing.

Note from Moderator:  A comment which violated the forum rules was removed.

JaneL

AG001 wrote:

Jane, I am curious if people would really have so many posting without any relation with Lenovo. But in any case the popping up tape analogy is nonsense. I do not know who you are trying to fool and if one should believe you have no relation with IBM.

You are free to believe whatever you choose, however neither Andy nor I are employees of either Lenovo or IBM.  We are both long-time ThinkPad fans, and in the best tradition of the internet, we share our knowledge with others.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Punch Card
AG001

Hi Jane, you choose to use the word "Employee" which like  " Lenovo Warranty" is fake. This is also demonstrated by the part you are moderating. Do not worry guys, I am motivated enough to put a mirror. I hope I have the time.

Punch Card
AG001

Jane Your Disclaimer here that this channel is not official is not well supported by fact. If you look at the bottom of the forum you can clearly see this. 

© 2010 Lenovo

Also what is your relation with Lenovo ? Please can you come clean on that? Specifying that you are not directly employed by Lenovo does not necessarily mean you are not an interested party with commercial motivation.

In UK where I reside the law is based on principles and is not strictly coded. So your ability to disclaim a relationship with a company or a company's relationship with a forum like this can be contested on "deemded basis".

That you choose to ignore this is because no one is bringing a case against your company, but that does not make Lenovo's action legal.

As I said, all of this will be in mirror and I hope some one will pick this thread up. 

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

AG001,

The forum belongs to Lenovo.   Employees are disclosed.  I am a Lenovo employee.  Neither Jane or Andy are Lenovo employees.  You can find them on other forums like ThinkPads.com, Thinkpads-de and Notebookreview among others.

The moderation team is charged with enforcing the community rules. 

From my perspective, it seems that you have had trouble, you have engaged Lenovo support which is the primary support channel, and problem determination has been done and you need a replacement hard disk.  Right?

The hard disk can be replaced by the user - many customers replace drives when performing upgrades to larger storage.  This is not abnormal.  There is detailed help available in the Hardware maintenance manual for your system which can be found on the Lenovo service and support .  www.lenovo.com/support   Addititionally, you can view training videos on www.lenovoservicetraining.com which may be helpful to you.

If you have onsite warranty and you can not change the hard disk yourself.  Please call service back.

I will request that your case be reviewed and see what else can be done.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

Punch Card
AG001

Hi Mark

Thanks for your input and offer of help. I have great respect for you as I mentioned in my earlier communication. While I would have accepted the hard drive change as a solution if I have had better experience with the support team earlier (CD wr etc). Which I did not. Also the way it has been suggested by the support team is that the support team would send me the hard drive and I would have to hand over my hard drive to the same courier person. Now unless I am sure that this replacement of hard drive will definitely resolve the problem, I am not prepared to give the old hard drive back and loose any hope of getting my data back.

I can replace the hard drive only if my existing hard drive would not have to be given back simultaneously with the delivery of new drive. (last time I suggested this to them, they did not accept). If your support team is ok with that, I am happy to replace the drive myself and check if it works.

If this resolves the issue, they can send the courier in few days time and I can let them have the old drive.

Please let me know if this can be done.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

AG001,

As we have looked into this, the service team has confirmed that the HDD is a CRU part that a customer can install and therefore does not qualify for replacement by a tech in the field.  However, as I read the last section of the quote from our website pasted below, I read it that the customer with onsite coverage can have the CRU part replaced under another type of service (customer carry-in through an authorized warranty provider (local business partner) or potentially use the depot services (mostly relevant for laptops).  

If the part is sent directly for customer installation, in the US, the customer has 30 days to return the defective part to avoid being billed for it.  I am inquiring on the terms in Europe and will update you as soon as I get confirmation of the timeframe in place there.  

I've pasted in the relevant terms and link citation from the support site for reference.  The last two sentences may provide some alternatives for you, but may not be the most flexible if your primary concern is transferring your data.

Best regards,

Mark

(The following was referenced from warranty terms posted to the support site here)

Problem Determination - It is the customer’s responsibility to follow the service request procedures that your service provider specifies, which includes, but may not be limited to, problem determination steps. Failure to follow the problem determination requirements may result in a service support refusal.

Self Service Customer Replaceable Unit ("CRU") - CRUs that are easily installed by you are called Self-service CRUs, while Optional-service CRUs may require some technical skill and tools. Installation of Self-service CRUs is the customer's responsibility. On-site entitled customers may receive a Self Service CRU to be installed by the customer. You may request that a Service Provider install Optional-service CRUs under one of the other types of warranty service designated for your product.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

Punch Card
AG001

[ Edited ]

Dear Mark
I appreciate your taking time off to respond. I was waiting for the European team to respond which has not yet happened. I guess there is no point hoping for a resolution from Lenovo. I would let it remain in public domain for others to judge the merits of case.

You write "the service team has confirmed that the HDD is a CRU" but do you realise that I am disputing this contention of Lenovo. Do you realise in any agreement there are 2 parties and Lenovo does not have the right of discreation to decide which is and which is not CRU. Why is Lenovo so arrogant to believe otherwise?

Let me put this in capitals....if this still beats Lenovo's collective team to understand the basic thing repeated again and again.

THERE IS NO MENTION OF HARD DRIVE AS CRU EITHER BY WAY OF REFERENCE OR BY WAY OF DIRECT MENTION IN THE AGREEMENT THAT WAS AGREED TO BY LENOVO AND MYSELF.
So there is no question of my accepting a contention of Lenovo that Hard Drive is CRU.

On the other hand, all problem determination steps were followed by me. I suspect that your people are incompetent or probably dishonest based on their earlier stupid diognostics.

All in all, let me state this, Lenovo does care about either its customers of its warranty. While not caring about its customers is a commercial choice, the later is frankly about legality.

If I were a lawyer I would look at this as an opportunity for Lenovo to pay for its folly.

I rest my case.

AG

Paper Tape
SKDallas

Having a similar issue. We are very unhappy about having to open up an expensive laptop for anything. We dont have the tools or the correct non-static environment to perform any kind of laptop surgery, this includes replacing hard disks or memory.

You may be able to force a CRU program on individuals, but doing that to a business or even an individual that has purchased high end equipment and an extended warrantee... that is unacceptable.

Needless to say, we are now reconsidering future purchases of any Lenovo equipment.

--S