Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Johnzee
Accepted Solution

Low wattage low profile graphics needed without SP1 for win7

I have a Lenovo 7360AKU - M58 SFF with cpu upgraded to Q 8200.with onboard video
I have an ATI RADEON 3470 HD 256mb low profile (22 watts) on the way but found I can't use it after all cause it requires SP1 win7.

I'm trying to find a low wattage low profile video card for my PC.  The ATI site says I have to have Win 7 SP1 installed...I have win 7 ultimate but it won't update to sp1.  I have too much stuff installed and it would take forever to start all over again..I need a video card that doesn't need SP1 and is low wattage.

Any ideas?

Punch Card
Johnzee

Re: Low wattage low profile graphics needed without SP1 for win7

[ Edited ]

What is the upgrade cards they offered?

OK here's what I came up with so far...how are the nvidias and would they fit?

Nvidia quadro FX370 256MB 64BIT replaces 53Y6807 25 watts no fan no win7 sp1 required

nVIDIA GeForce 310 512MB DDR3 (VGA+DP) LP 30.5 watts has fan no win7 sp1 required

ATI Radeon HD3470 DDR3 256MB (22 watts) replaces 46R1521  win7 sp1 IS required (can't use therefore

Guru
BiggAl

I'm confused about "start all over again". Installing SP1 doesn't mean you need to reinstall your system or apps/data.
802.11n
TheDude

I think it will work anyway.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Punch Card
Johnzee

[ Edited ]

I was hoping that...(iit's ghosted if it craps out))

yes "starting all over again"  if sp1 doesn;t install as it doesnt'  So if I start from scratch it will probably install....I have a ton of stuff (music plugins etc) on the drive. 

OK I thought like you....what could be the harm

if I try to install without sp1...it'll just say no go?.or..it'lll just work and that's that maybe??

I really appreciate your responses.

You're the dude...if it works I give u the cred..too bad I can't tip u

Punch Card
Johnzee

[ Edited ]

Could win 7 already have this driver(3470) when u install the OS without using their new catalyst drivers??

AMD/ATI was great..they said try to load sp1 update to win 7 in safe mode./might work
They also said I may be able to use the custom optrion" when loading ati driver.

Is there an alternate Nvidia card you could recommend for this PC?

But I don't understand them requiring .net framework sp1.  I've installed many types of "net frameworks" but this isn't really clear. Nvidia requires nothing.

Punch Card
Johnzee

[ Edited ]

Well I found out...these NetFrames reside side by side and maybe 3.5 sp1 IS needed and not netframe 4. I installed 4.   3.5 is already on win 7 stock(I have 64 bit)but maybe not with SP1. There's no small sp1 update for 3.5 so I'm downloading full 3.5 sp1 and it's 230 mb or so just in case.

Update: I checked my registry on win 7 x64 and net framework 3.5 sp1  is already provided on my version of ultimate (not updated to 7 sp1 though)

So i didn't even need 4

Punch Card
Johnzee

u were right...win 7 ultimate x64 had my driver already so I didn't even try to update to the new Catalyst.   You have to select correctly in the bios or you won't get anything.  (and maybe freak out)