Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
fonon

M52 9210 - problem with memory upgrade

My computer was equipped with 512 MB single RAM module. I tried to upgrade RAM using the second module - the same as an original due to set the dual-channel mode. Unfortunately, the second module wasn't recognized by the system. I tried to use another RAM module with the same effect. The BIOS doesn't contain memory configuration option. What can I do?

There is another strange effect. The BIOS window isn't displayed properly. The right side is truncated. It is not a monitor problem!

Guru
losmeme

Re: M52 9210 - problem with memory upgrade

Did the system beep at all when you restarted it with the additional memory stick in the machine?

Make sure the memory slots are free of dust and/or debris by vacuuming or canned air. Also, run a pencil eraser over the gold contacts lightly to clean them off, make sure to brush off any eraser residue. Firmly seat the modules using direct downward pressure, if it slips even the slightest bit, remove the module and try again.

If the problem persists, try to determine if it is the memory or the slot by switching the modules.

My 9210 is very sensitive to the installation of the memory, simply touching them can throw the contacts off, requiring me to reinstall them.

Punch Card
fonon

losmeme wrote:

Did the system beep at all when you restarted it with the additional memory stick in the machine?

No. There is no system beep. I have the computer from the second hand. First use, the bios reported the change of memory size. The previous owner probably removed one memory module or exchanged the 256 MB module on 512 MB.

The operating system starts flawless and works fine.
Thank You for answer. Regards,

f.

Punch Card
fonon

Two different (different manufacturers, the same memory size) memory modules work fine in the first slot and not work in the second slot. The computer with memory module in the second slot doesn't start and generates beep code (probably - no memory). The second, not working memory slot is clean - no dust or dirt. The bios was upgraded to the newest one. Any idea?

Punch Card
fonon

losmeme wrote: (...) run a pencil eraser over the gold contacts lightly to clean them off, make sure to brush off any eraser residue. 

The contacts of memory slot? The memory slot slit seems to be too narrow. Could You recommend some liquid cleaner?

f.

Guru
BiggAl

He means the contacts on the edge of the memory simm -- we used to do that on computer boards way back when. I haven't heard anyone suggest that recently, and from a static electricity perspective, may not be a good idea.
Punch Card
fonon

What do You suggest? How to clear the memory slot?

f.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

I'm going to chime in on the pencil eraser technique for cleaning gold contacts.

The sulfur in the rubber compound used for erasers can lead to gold tarnish.  It cleans very well, but the contacts may fail later due to tarnish - perhaps much later.  Doesn't always happen, but it certainly can.

Learned that myself the hard way - more than once :smileysad:

If you can't find some alternative (art gum, maybe) at least clean the gold with highly pure alcohol after using the pencil eraser.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Punch Card
fonon

As BiggAl wrote, this method may be used to clear the memory module, not the memory slot on the motherboard. My memory module doesn't need cleaning.

f.