Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
bpiotrowski

M55 (8808-HUB) Overheating and shutting down - onboard video card issue?

Hi All,

We moved some PCs to our security office and both of them are now shutting down (8808-HBU).  After investigation, it appears that the culprit is the chip on the system board that is covered by a heatsink (NOT the CPU) .  If we put air directly on it the system does not shut down.

We are running security software on it for our security camera system (which is pretty graphic-intensive).  I suspect that this chip is the onboard video card chipset, and we're overloading it and causing it to shut down.

Can someone please identify this mystery chip that is on the system board under the heatsink?  These computers worked fine in their original roles, but at that time they were used only for basic office applications and terminal emulations.

Thanks.

Brian.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: M55 (8808-HUB) Overheating and shutting down - onboard video card issue?

if give us a picture of the chip you are talking about then we can help you with the identification.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
harishnailwal
Topics: 0
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 2

I really understand your concern, the issue might be with the chip which you have mentioned in your post. However you can check the issue after updating the BIOS from the below mentioned web link.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-66276

If your system is still under warranty then I suggest you kindly contact to the support centre on 1-800-565-3344 to get the assistance.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Guru
Mornsgrans

[ Edited ]
ThinkCentre M55p (8808-HBU)

Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor E6300, 1GB, 80GB 7200RPM S-ATA HDD, no diskette drive, PCI Small Form Factor (2x3), Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000, 16x DVD-ROM, Intel Gigabit Ethernet, Windows Vista Business 32

The graphic chip is integrated in the Intel Q963 Express Chipset. I guess, the Q963 is getting very hot, that the emergency turn off save the chip from damage.

The chipset will be found under the heat sink as shown here (ThinkCentre A55).

@harishnailwal

The ThinkCentre type 8808 was announced in 2006 and withdrawn in 2008 latest depending on the model. I think, warranty is expired.

Maybe it might help to install a small-size graphics adapter with cooling fan.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection