Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
gummo

M58p - Model 7484, How to input the Asset Tag Number into the BIOS

Does anyone know How to input the Asset Tag Number into the BIOS for ThinkCentre M58p - Model# 7484?

I am able to change the system serial number and the machine type through the BIOS update!

My customer would input their only "Asset Tag" for each machine they have.

Are there any utility which can be used to enter the Asset Tag?

Please help!

Thank you!

Retired Partner
henripla

Re: M58p - Model 7484, How to input the Asset Tag Number into the BIOS

Very important, read this first!!!! Be careful your system board can make unsuable with you don´t pay attention in this note.

Note: If the downlevel or the current BIOS version is lower than 5CKT28A (you can see this on BIOS), DO NOT use 5cjy48usa.exe (flash from operating system version) directly to update the BIOS. Instead, 5cj948a.iso or 5cjt48a.zip should be used to update the BIOS.

First step: Download the bios update file (operating system version) - http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70892

Second step: With file download run and enter on folder: X:\LenovoTOOLS\FLASH\5CJY48USA, where "X" is your partition,and run file: winphlash.exe

Third step: On the first windows,enter on Advanced Settings. On the Tab - Flags - uncheck the box "Flash only if Bios Version is different" and  "Flash only if BIOS Version is newer than system"

Fourth step: Go to the next tab - DMI, on update Mode select = Update DMI and the BIOS (Renew DMI), on Category select "Chassis" .

Now on asset tag field insert the data you needed to show on Asset Tag  Field on the BIOS.

After do this, press OK, and Update BIOS. Your machine will reboot and you can enter in the BIOS and see the information on Asset Tag.

I hope I can help with this.

Blue Screen Again
unixbytes

Update:

I am using the latest update 5CJY61USA

I've tried the above solution but when you go to BIOS and check Asset Tag it remains blank.

Tried playing around and found out that if I change "Chassis>Serial number" this will change the "Asset Tag" in BIOS.

I'm not sure if this is the way it should be or it is a bug on this update.

I havent tried the old version.

Blue Screen Again
unixbytes

[ Edited ]

Please let me know if you guys experience the same issue.

It seems like an update bug to me.

Regards

Fanfold Paper
dgjlee

We have done this on our M58P's (7220)

Check out my last post in this thread http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-and-M-Series-ThinkCentre/Planning-to-buy-200-M58P-s-but/m-p/248291#M48...