Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
kiwislasher

M75e 5061 B5G - RAM orientation for Dual Channel use?

Hello! :smileyhappy:

My System is a M75e 5061 B5G and in order of the cheap RAM prices I want to upgrade my system from 2GB to 8GB (2 x 4GB).

My Question:

There are four DIMM Sockets on the mainboard. Two are black and the other two are green.
In which constellation should I use the sockets to enable the Dual Channel mode?

1x Green and 1x Black OR 2x Green OR 2x Black?

If you need any further information, please let me know!
Best regards,

kiwislasher

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: M75e 5061 B5G - RAM orientation for Dual Channel use?

[ Edited ]

Hello and welcome,

I though I could provide a quick answer for this, but neither the User's Guide nor Hardware Maintenance manual for your machine mentions the RAM bank layout.  AFAICS, anyway :smileysad:

Hopefully someone will come along with the answer, but in the meantime, this page at Kingston implies that RAM should be installed in pairs in adjacent slots to get dual channel operation.

Search Results for: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e

You may have to install your RAM and then run one of the info tools (Everest, etc) to verify dual-channel mode.

[edit] Are the matching colors side-by-side?  It's common in the industry to color code the sockets so that pairs of RAM sticks go in matching colors. So - both green or both black.  Still just guessing here...

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Guru
losmeme

[ Edited ]

Lenovo really doesn't have a lot of information about this for their systems. There is this page HERE, but these IBM systems are obsolete now. It seems to indicate that the pairs need to be installed in slots 1 and 3 OR 2 and 4 for dual channel to work. On these systems when dual channel is in force, a message appears in the BIOs verifying this fact.

On newer Lenovo systems, there is no message in the BIOs no matter the configuration used. I still tend to install pairs in slots 1 and 3 OR 2 and 4 simply out of habit, CPU-Z confirms this configuation as being dual channel on my M57 6071 USFF.

Paper Tape
kiwislasher

Thanks for your answers! :smileyhappy:

Indeed the manual ist not very helpful in this case...

I just put the two sticks in slot 3 and 4 (both green colored) and CPU-Z says that they are running in "Dual" and "Unganged" Mode.

I think this will do it.

Or does someone knows whether the "ganged" mode would be better / faster ?