Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
Prophecy28
Accepted Solution

Need help. Brand new Lenovo M series desktop keeps crashing!

So I recently purchased a M91p 7052B2U tower as a start of a gaming computer. I installed a Nvidia GTX 570M video card in it and stuck 3 more sticks of DDR 3 10600 RAM in it. All was well and good until yesterday when I was trying to use a recently installed game option to benchmark the system. Big mistake, apparently. No sooner had I clicked the option it crashed with a blue screen and memory dump. I booted it up several times and after about try 5 it gave me recovery options. It did a 'roll-back' and all seemed fine. Then today I was right in the middle of playing a game online and it blue screened again. This time I can't get the recovery screen to come up. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:smileysad:

Guru
BiggAl

Re: Need help. Brand new Lenovo M series desktop keeps crashing!

Is the 570M a Mobile graphics adapter, for a laptop? What's the max power draw for it?
802.11n
TheDude

I think you have exceeded the power supply capacity.  Video cards over a max poser demand of about 75 watts are going to do this.  You could replace the power supply with a 400+ watt one.  I would get an 80+ gold supply for low heat and efficiency if you go this way (assuming a standard supply will fit in the case).

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Token Ring
Prophecy28

@BiggAI: The graphics card is not meant for laptops.

@TheDude: I changed out the power supply for a 800 watt Cheifmax. Adequate power definitely isn't the problem.

Guru
BiggAl

[ Edited ]

Nvidia lists the GTX 570M as a notebook GPU

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-570m

perhaps it's a GTX 570 that you have?  I'm not familar with Nvidia, I've always had ATI/AMD. 

If so, it's a 220w card, which under load, doubles the thermal output of your system.  Have you upgraded the system cooling?  By default, it's not designed for that much GPU heat output.   I added the front fan and vented PCI slot covers to keep my AMD 6670 GPU at reasonable temp (and it's lower in watts.)  Did you monitor the system wide temps before and while gaming? 

You might try removing the GTX 570 and see if it will boot and run on the integrated graphics.  Run the Lenovo diagnostics. 

Token Ring
Prophecy28

[ Edited ]

Ah, it's a ZOTAC Nvidia GTX 570 Amp! Sorry.

I actually did just what you suggested and was able to get the computer to boot. And yes, I had a feeling cooling might be the issue. So I bought 4 replacement fans and a fan controller with 5 separate thermal sensors (for each fan region), I'm just waiting on them to arrive.

I have to drill into the case to mount 2 of them ruining the sleek look of the desktop, but oh well; I'd rather have a functional system that looks bad than one that looks great but doesn't work properly. Right now I've got the side panel off for ventilation and I flipped the new power supply unit which has an intake using it as another system exhaust (since AFAIK power supplies rarely get hot enough to need a fan).

I've now replaced the heatsink and fan, the power supply, and was forced to replace the one stick of RAM that came with the computer. Next time I will be doing this all from scratch instead of trying to bolt on pieces to a machine that's essenially ready to go.

I'll leave the thread open until the fans are mounted.

Thanks for the help BiggAI.

Guru
BiggAl

I've now replaced the heatsink and fan, the power supply, and was forced to replace the one stick of RAM that came with the computer. Next time I will be doing this all from scratch instead of trying to bolt on pieces to a machine that's essenially ready to go.

I hear you!  It's been a adventure for me as well, and I'm not pushing it as much as you. 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-and-M-Series-ThinkCentre/M91p-tower-ATI-6000-series-graphics-card-upgr...

I was researching building my own, but got a great deal on the Lenovo at Christmas, and sometimes I wish I stuck with my original plan.   I've learned a lot about PC desktops since then (have always used ThinkPads before), and could now build a better system than I could before.

Token Ring
Prophecy28

It's all built now. Fans took me forever getting the time and the right tools, but it's keeping my system very cool. The only other thing I want to add now is a SATA 3 SSD drive so my game boot times are really fast.