Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
legrand
Accepted Solution

SOUNDMAX DRIVERS - Post Win7 upgrade (M52 8215-D1G)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I recently upgraded the copy of Windows on my IBM ThinkCentre M52-8215 from Windows XP Pro (with which it shipped) to Windows 7 Pro using the Custom Installation procedure as instructed. Most pleasingly, the whole upgrade process was astonishingly smooth and straightforward, and upon loading Win7 up for the first time, everything installed and worked perfectly...except the sound.

In the "Sound" subsection of the Device Manager, it lists only "High Definition Audio Device" which appears to be a generic driver from Microsoft. and no mention of "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio". I would like to point out that prior to upgrading to Windows 7, I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor which specifically confirmed that "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio", along with other key device drivers installed, was "Compatible" with Windows 7. Unfortunately, IBM/Lenovo do not seem to offer any Windows 7 drivers for SoundMAX and I attempted in vain to install both the original Windows XP drivers and the ones published for Windows Vista - only to be met with an error message saying that the software was not compatible (the Vista drivers installation process completed without errors, but did not resolve the issue either or appear to have changed anything).

Having attempted every possible solution and SoundMAX driver I could locate under the Sun, I wiped the computer again and did another Custom installation of Windows 7, as I suspected my various desperate experiments had left behind all sorts of stuff on my newly re-formatted system. I have not attempted any SoundMAX driver installations since. 

Meanwhile, since loading Windows 7, I've had a device appear as "Unknown device" in the "Other devices" subsection of the Device Manager, with the dreaded little yellow triangle next to it. It's not clear whether this is actually the sound device which has failed to be recognised by Windows 7, or some other device that did not install as it should (though all known devices and peripherals are correctly listed elsewhere in the Device Manager), as there are no identifying details listed in the Properties window.

If anybody could point me to a copy of the necessary SoundMAX drivers for Windows 7, or help out in some way, I'd be extremely grateful - it's very frustrating to have no sound, especially when everything else appears to be working perfectly.

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just noticed that by plugging in headphones into the headphones jack, I get sound through those (this is correct for both the front and rear headphone jacks), but it still doesn't work through the speakers. Any idea why this might be the case?

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 139
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Re: SOUNDMAX DRIVERS - Post Win7 upgrade (M52 8215-D1G)

[ Edited ]

legrand,

This is a known issue with sound max.After googling a bit Ive noticed that other people have successfully installed their XP Drivers in windows 7 by changing to windows XP compatibility mode for installation.

were you provided with any links when you ran the windows 7 advisor?

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon

●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Blue Screen Again
legrand

Hi Vijay,

I did attempt the installations at the time in both normal mode and WinXP compatibility mode, but with no success. Windows 7 advisor did not provide any links either, I saved the HTML page of results that it produced at the time and there is nothing to click through to about this.

Please let me know if you or anybody else manage to find a solution to this issue, but at this stage I think I may just save myself any further agony and invest £30 in a pair of PC speakers - to be honest, the sound was never great out of the inbuilt speakers at the rear, so it will probably be an worthwhile improvement either way.

Thanks and regards,

David

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 139
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Try installing from here 

http://www.ziddu.com/download/720890...RyS18.zip.html

Or

http://rapidshare.com/files/302058220/SoundMAXAD1988B_Audio_V610X6585_Win7BY_cRyS18.zip

Hope this helps..

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon

●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Mattatola

I couldn't get either site to d/l anything... but I found the same file here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090904172437171&board_id=1&model=P5Q-E&page=1&SLanguage=en-...
What's DOS?
edambal

Hi ,

I still difficult finding these drivers on the net.

Could you please re-post these drivers.

Thanks in advance,

edambal