Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SL
Paper Tape
SL

(ThinkCentre A55) CPU Auto start when main power supply is turn on

[ Edited ]
I just bought ThinkCentre A55 (Tower), Model 8705-AN2

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180 (2.0 GHz/800 system bus), Intel 946GZ, 1MB L2 Cache , 1X1GB PC2-5300 (667MHz DDR2), 250GB, DVD/CDRW Combo. No FDD, Vista Business-32, 3 years NBD on-site warranty, half-length/full-height PCI Express x16, half-length/full-height PCI Express x1,  Rescue & Recovery, ThinkVantage Productivity Centre

But I have facing this problem from the 1st day I got the CPU. Whenever I power on the main wall plug switch, the CPU auto start itself without me to press on the on/off button on the CPU.

Have called the Technical support but they cant solve the problem. They come to service my CPU change the main power box, mother board and on/off switch, it still cannot solve the problem. The engineer has no idea of what causing this.

Could it be the BIOS settings? I have tried to turn off the LAN option. It doesnt work, the problem still persists.

What could be causing this problem? It is not normal for CPU to auto start by itself. Please help to advise. Thanks.

Message Edited by SL on 03-28-2008 09:58 AM

Message Edited by SL on 03-28-2008 09:58 AM
billbolton
Topics: 69
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 105

Re: (ThinkCentre A55) CPU Auto start when main power supply is turn on

[ Edited ]
There is usually a BIOS option which controls will happens at power up.

You should take a look in the ThinkCentre Setup Utility, under the power options.  There is usually a parameter which covers what will automatically happen after the mains power to the ThinkCenter comes on.  It typically gives you three options, similar to:
  1. Always wait in powered down mode for an explict start up action
  2. Always power up when mains power is available
  3. Always return to the power state that existed when the ThinkCenter was last powered
Cheers,

Bill

Message Edited by billbolton on 03-28-2008 06:58 PM
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
SL
Paper Tape
SL

[ Edited ]
Hi Bill,
thanks for your reply.

To further clarify, are you referring to the AFTER POWER LOSS - with 3 options [1)Stay off, 2)Turn on, 3) Last state)].

If you are referring to this, I thought this option is meant for power surge. Correct me if I am wrong. :smileyvery-happy: For my problem, you think is caused by this option? Currently the setting for this option is LAST STATE.

Thanks,
SL

Message Edited by SL on 03-28-2008 05:11 PM

Message Edited by SL on 03-28-2008 05:21 PM

Message Edited by SL on 03-28-2008 05:22 PM
billbolton
Topics: 69
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 105

SL wrote:

Currently the setting for this option is LAST STATE.

Try setting it to "Stay Off" and see if you get the behaviour you are looking for.

Cheers,

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Retired Employee
Cedric

All ThinkCentres I have worked with will power up for a second or three after connecting power and then power off again.  This is typical behavior of Lenovo desktops since NetVista days.  My assumption is that it runs a very basic POST, checks the setting of the CMOS jumper and the "power state" BIOS setting.
elvorian

Cedric is correct , I also have a A55 8705-CTO and if I power off/on my backup the computer will power on for a short system check, fan etc., my A50 also will do this.

SL
Paper Tape
SL

I have got my problem solved. Just need to update the latest BIOS it will fix the auto start. My original BIOS is not the latest.

BTW Lenovo technical support also dont know what causing this. Is after I post this to ask around to confirm is BIOS then I told them could it be the BIOS then they email me the latest BIOS link for update. Really disappointed.:smileymad: Have been wasting alot of time troubleshooting and searching around for solution.

Anyway case closed. Problem solved.

Thank you everyone for the replies and help. :smileyvery-happy:

Rgds,
SL