Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Wilmerol
Accepted Solution

ThinkCentre M51 8142-38S Power supply for GeForce 9600GT

We have a ThinkCentre M51 and we are receiving a new video card PNY GeForce 9600GT for gaming purpose. According with specs we need to upgrade the M51 for a minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A) and 1 6-pin supplementary power connector. We have an additional SATA disk drive already installed.

Would you guide us with recommendations for power supply?

Thanks in advance

Lenovo Employee
shumpert

Re: ThinkCentre M51 8142-38S Power supply for GeForce 9600GT

You can safely use just about any ATX compatible power supply in the tower systems.

I checked one of those systems here in the lab and there is no reason why you can't use a standard ATX power supply in your desktop system as well.  Since its a Desktop (4x4) mechanical it has enough space to fit most ATX power supplies.  We don't test the systems with other power supplies but from what I can see here it should work for you.  Just make sure that the power supply you order has all of the connectors you need. 

Ed Shumpert
Thinkcentre/Desktops Launch Readiness Program Manager
US Service & Support
Fanfold Paper
Wilmerol

Ed, thanks for your response. Would you (or anyone in the forum) help me with what should I ask for the power supply? I mean, what kind of questions I should ask in order to keep the M51 running with the original equipment, the additional SATA drive and the new video card we are getting. I read the detailed specifications for the ThinkCentre 8142 Power supply and it just mention: 310 watt supply with variable fan speed; 110 volt or 220 volt operation controlled by a switch on the back of the unit. I read in the Wikipedia the ATX form factor has had five main power supply designs: ATX, WTX , AMD, EPS12V  and ATX12V (4 versions) It is kind of confusiong and I’m not an expert on technology so I’d appreciate some more guidance.
Punch Card
ViciousLizard

I can see this is an old post. However, you should not use anything less than a decent quality 400 watt power supply with a 9600 GT. Also, I have found that such cards generally do not fit in most Thinkcentre ATX cases. You need a low profile card. There is only one low profile 9600 GT that I am aware of, manufactured by Galaxy. Most 8600 GT's are low profile, however. And those would not require any PSU upgrade.