Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
uttamdook

Re: ThinkCentre M58 - Fan speeds constantly 100%

Encountered this problem with three machines. Problem was going on for months, with technical support from Lenovo. Eventually with a conference call with Lenovo 's Engineers, found a solution. The themal cable was the culprit, mind you that all components in system was changed. Hope this helps.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@kengrant and uttamdook,

Thanks for posting your findings. I will update the KB with 2 of your comments accordingly.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
tbraden

[ Edited ]

That's funny, I just cleared the bios on this one - and I check this section everytime I have a loud fan issue.  I saw this post and figured I'd check this cable as the clear cmos didn't fix it - looks like the thermal cable was off, good catch, I can see where these can get popped off when you open the case.    This fixed my most recent loud fan issue.  Good thing I was reading through about the thermal cable while troubleshooting, wouldn't of thought of it otherwise.

What's DOS?
glencullen

Ok I had 12 beeps (4x3) , loud fans and no boot up. As I suspected it went away when I unpluged the front USB muti socket from the motherboard. Am finding more and more USB issues are appearing in many different systems.

Serial Port
neumannu47

If your computer doesn't boot when you connect the USB cable to the case, you probably have a short on the +5V rail of the power supply. That's pretty easy to verify with a digital volt meter. The fan runs on 12V, further indicating a problem with the +5V supply.

Paper Tape
rwspeicher

Encountered this issue on 3 9482's (M57e) and it was not the bios or memory, but a broken spring latch on the CPU heatsink since the sink gets loose the fan spins to 100 % almost immediately. Can be fixed with a new heat sink mount or a nylon zip tie over spring arm and under/around the mount. Did finally find the broken piece in the caseof one system so far.

Punch Card
tbraden

Recently had a M58 MT7483A16 that was giving a loud fan - tried a different motherboard, tried a different bracket, CPU, CPU Fan, Cleaned off the CPU, cleaned off the bottom of the CPU Fan, does the same, I reseated the thermal cable on the motherboard, same.  I was quite frustrated - then tried to test a different thermal cable - voila - works.  I haven't had to replace one of these before since working with all these systems but is worth noting. 

FRU 43N9079

What's DOS?
Sudeaux

[ Edited ]

Hello!

We have a Thinkcentre M58 9960ANU with this fan speed problem. We have been trying for the past two months to resolve this issue. Here is what has been done:

System board has been replaced twice

BIOS have been updated to newest and also downgraded to the same version as our other working M58

CPU was replaced

Tried new memory / plugged memory into different slots / tried booting system without memory

Tried a different/known good power supply

Replaced the system fan as well as the CPU heatsink/fan

Performed steps given by JameZ/engineering several times

Tried swapping parts to/from another good/working Thinkcentre M58

We have been on the phone with Lenovo support many times and no one knows what to do to fix this. At this point, the system has had pretty much every part swapped out. I would try one more system board but we have already had two new system boards in this system and the problem was not resolved.

One odd thing about this system is that it did not have a thermal sense cable when we received it from our client. Lenovo has sent us a thermal sense cable but when the cable is plugged in, the fans stop working completely. The thermal sense cable from the other M58 does the same thing in this system (and we have tried the new thermal sense cable in the known working system, and it operates properly in the good system).

If anyone has any suggestion as to what else we can try, we would greatly appreciate it.

What's DOS?
jdat

not sure if this is related to the subject, but i had a fan that would run really loud for long periods of time (this issue was on and off). i sprayed some dust off in the air vent, and haven't had the problem ever since (this was about 3 months ago).

Fanfold Paper
queuebert

This procedure to stop the fan has worked several times for me--thanks!