Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
cquilliam

Re: ThinkCentre M58 - Fan speeds constantly 100%

Sorry, I should have responded to this thread when I figured out the problem.

Turns out that the problem was that the RAM was put back into the wrong slots.  Aparantly if the RAM isn't in the proper slots, the fan stays on constantly.

Paper Tape
Megabyte

On my board the RAM is in the right slot  (1 and 3). But what speed is the lowest possible speed? Are my 660 RPM really too fast???

Punch Card
tbraden

I've had to work through quite a few different fan issues.  These ones are a bit trickier to figure out but I figured I'd post it for those later on down the road that come acrossed it. 

Constant, or Loud Fan Issue:

1.  Check to see if its CPU fan or Powersupply fan

2.  Remove power cable, reseat memory, change banks see if does the same (Ram reseat or move bank comes second place to replacing the motherboard itself in fixes for me).

3.  Check PSU (most overlooked) for voltage via multimeter or some PSU tester.  PSU = Power Supply Unit

4.  Reseat all internal connections, if continues proceed to next step

5.  Clear/Reset Bios (remove battery)

6.  Swap out different PSU

7.  Swap out different Fan...if still persists

8.  Swap out different Motherboard/Ram/CPU

Sidenote - I have in one case fixed the issue by reseating a USB connection as well, as the motherboard was offset and taking it out and adjusting the motherboard and then putting the connection back in fixed the issue. 

The parts I have replaced to fix this issue varies but has included:

-PSU (not that frequent)

-Heatsink/CPU Fan (not that frequent)

-Motherboard alone (most common item replaced for this issue)

-Motherboard/CPU/Ram (rare cases)

Punch Card
tbraden

The systems I've been working with are the Thinkcentre M58p MT 7483a16

Paper Tape
alexgray

I have the same problem as everyone else reports - fan running far to fast for comfortable use. Mine is runnng at just over 4,000 rpm, which I guess is its top speed.

It had been just fine, but I reinstalled Windows XP on a fresh hard drive - no problems, everything was working perfectly normally through a couple of reboots. But I returned to the machine a couple of days later and booted up to find the fan running full tilt continuously.

I've check the BIOS settings but can't see anything related. I also tried removing the battery and clearing the BIOS, but apart form resettign the clock of course, it had no visible effect.

I installed a hardware monitoring utility (CPUID) and it tells me the fan is spinning at 4,045 rpm even though the CPU cores are only around 27-29C.

I've checked all the other things like look temperature sensor conenctions etc and can't see anything wrong.

So many people seem to have reported this problem over the past couple of years, surely Lenovo must have a fix for it, or there is some design fault?

Anyone form Lenovo listening?

Alex

Punch Card
tbraden

Most recent loud fan, or fan running at full speed case:

For the first step had unplug all cables except power cable and see if it does the same.  In this case it didn't, so then plugged video cable in, then slowly put all cables back in, seems to be up and running now.  Not sure if this is a cable that needed to be reseated or if its just a system that goes into some form of sleep mode and when it comes back out of it, the fan just sticks at full speed.  All working now, will follow up if anything changes on this case. 

Paper Tape
alexgray

Well, I left the machine powered down for a couple of days, and when I put it back on, bliss... fan running almost silent at 600 rpm, all day, until late int he afternoon I had to do a reboot. You guessed, it cam back at full speed.

I am getting really annoyed by this. After powering it down again and back it once came back quiet, but then left alone for a while the fan spontaneously started to run full speed again, and it continues to do.

There was no openign of the case or disturbance of connectors, and all the sensors are reporting okay. The room is cool (17C) and all the cores are showing cool (27-29C) so there's no obvious reason for the fan speeding.

One other thing, i have suddenly started getting repeated Microsoft crash popups telling me there is a problem with igfxsrvc - this has started out of the blue - it was fine before, but these popus are coming every few seconds some of the time.

This is a new machine with a clean install of Win XP SP3 and all relevant updates.

I've seens loads of posts form peopel reporting this problem - surely there must be a straightforward explanation. Please, someone?

Alex

Punch Card
tbraden

When I received the most recent system, all is working fine.  I have seen it where cables (seemingly) in certain usb spots can trigger, sometimes they will lift the motherboard a bit or offset it, then removing that usb cable and putting it into a different location will fix the issue.  Issue can be caused by a variety of issues.  So when I received the system, I use all different cables than the ones onsite, so could quite possibly be the usb cable as well. 

Paper Tape
alexgray

I  have a update on the speeding fan issue in the hope that this may trigger some thoughts as to other possible answers (I've tried reseating all the cables, making sure the memory is in the right slots etc).

I've now discovered that if I simply switch of and on, or reboot the system it will put the fan into full speed mode (4400rpm) shortly after start up - generally it's quiet for te first 15 or 20s but by the time Windows XP has booted the fan kicks in (NB it's because of Windows, the fans will speed up even I start the machine manually and don't let it run into Windows).

HOWEVER, what I have discovered is that if I take the power off the machine altogether (ie remove the mains supply for a short while) and then repower it and start up, the fan doesn't immediately go into hovercraft mode, but runs at a near silent 600rpm.

It will stay slow for anythign from 10 minutes to 8 hours, and I can't tell what triggers it to suddenly speed up again - it's certainly not temperature. The system is in a cool room and the cores are running under 30C all the time.

So it would seem that if the system has a genuine cold reset the fan isn't initially triggered but if the standby power remains on, even through a reboot, the fast fan condition is triggered.

With so many people reporting this problem, you'd think that a reputable company such as Lenovo would have come up with a definitive answer by now.

Alex

Paper Tape
alexgray

Re: ThinkCentre M58 - Fan speeds constantly 100% - fixed

Well, I finally have a quiet fan!

I tried again following the advice of an earlier post, and I removed all cables from the mother board, eased it around a bit, and reconnected everything.

Even though nothing looked out of place, and I had tried reseating all the connectors previously, this time it seems to have done the trick - quiet fans for the past couple of weeks.

One odd thing hapened which is that the BIOS now wants to do a network boot by default at each power up - don't why that has changed as I didn't reset the cmos and the clock stayed correct.

It still has little bursts of being plagued by a crash message from igfxsvr - Intel graphics software. It will go for days with no bother and the suddenly start popping up messages every few seconds making the machine unusable until it is rebooted. Has anyone found a fix for this? I've tried reinstalling fresh graphics drivers from Intel, but with no change.

Alex