Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
NickClark

ThinkCentre M58p Graphics Card Whitelist

I have a ThinkCentre m58P and have tried 2 cards in the machine to no avail.

One just wasnt recognised the other gave bios bleeps.

I want to turn this PC into a media streamer from as NAS server and need a HDMI output compatible Graphics card for this machine?

Can anyone recommend whats on the whitelist or fully functions wih the M58p?

Guru
losmeme

Re: ThinkCentre M58p Graphics Card Whitelist

Can't recommend a card, but just wanted to make sure you knew that you don't have to have a graphics card with an HDMI port on it. The signaling for HDMI and DVI are identical, just different connectors. I have a cable that has a male DVI connector on one end and a male HDMI connector on the other. I connect from the DVI port of an ADD-2R card directly to my TV. There are also DVI/HDMI converters that accomplish this same task using the converter and a standard HDMI cable.

Check the parts listing for your machine on the support site to see which graphics cards are supported for your model.

Guru
BiggAl

[ Edited ]

It's not quite that simple as a cable.  From wiki:

Features specific to HDMI (such as remote-control, audio transport, xvYCC, and deep-color) are not usable in devices that only support DVI signalling. However, many devices can output HDMI over a DVI output (e.g., ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[2] and some multimedia displays may accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. In general, exact capabilities vary from product to product.

and:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/301410-33-does-hdmi-carry-audio

You need to have or find a product that supports HDMI output over DVI. 

Guru
BiggAl

[ Edited ]

I just did a search on the system benchmark database:

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/index.php

to see what video cards the uploaded M58p benchmarks had installed. I found 2 with Nvidia's GeForce 9500 GT, 1 with the 9400 GT, 1 with an ATI HD 3470, and several with HD 2400.

Paper Tape
NickClark

Basically I need to know what card that has HDMI output that supports Audio too will work in this machine, from other threads here i've found that the Zotac GT210 512 is compatible.

Can anyone confirm this card or any others that work in this machine please.

Guru
BiggAl

[ Edited ]