Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
FASLC

ThinkCentre M58p using display port AND PCIe x16

I use the PCIe x16 slot of a ThinkCentre M58p for a second NIC and this seems to work ok, but a disadvantage of the solution is that I can only use the VGA port to connect a monitor. If I try to use the display port the monitor keeps black.

Has somebody experiences if it's possible to use the PCIe x16 slot for an non graphic card in connection with the display port and are there any further steps to configure.

Punch Card
Tazrox

Re: ThinkCentre M58p using display port AND PCIe x16

If you remove the NIC, can you use both the VGA and Display ports? Any reason why you didn't use the standard PCI slot and a PCI Nic?

Jared

Fanfold Paper
kristoffer

I have the same problem.

I have a PCIe audio interface (ESI 1010e) in a M58p and the DP (Displayport) is not working when this audio interface is installed.

When I remove the interface, I can have two screens.

Is it any possibility I can have both?

Paper Tape
FASLC

Yes, if I remove the NIC both ports can be used.

The host is multi homed in several networks. Therefore the idea was to use a NIC with more than one port.  In the past we use for this purpose a 4 port PCI card, but this cards is no longer available and I decided to use a DELL DUAL 10/100/1000TX, because it was the easiest way.

Fanfold Paper
ham_vcs

I found out the hard way that you cannot plug ANY PCIe card into an M58p and use the DisplayPort monitor output.  I have a very nice Hauppauge HVR-1250 PCIe ATSC TV Tuner card that is now useless to me.  I had to buy a FusionHDTV7 Cool PCI Tuner card to enable the DisplayPort again.  I called IBM Support (it is a Certified Used machine 7483-W59) and they indeed verified my suspicions.  I initially thought that only the Digital ADD2 card would disable the DisplayPort output, but that is NOT true.  The IBM rep indicated that any PCIe card plugged into that PCIe slot would disable the DisplayPort output.  I requested that he pass my concerns on to Marketting regarding a more upfront mentioning of this limitation in the sales information (such as PSREF) of this machine!  I was fortunate enough to even FIND a PCI TV Tuner card that is Low Profile.  Using the AC3Filter open source sound decoder and the InterVideo WinDVD Video codec, I was able to get WatchHDTV to run the FusionHDTV7 Cool card and have it display on both the Analog and DisplayPort outputs (one at a time) in Extended Win/XP Destop mode.

Fanfold Paper
kristoffer

arrrrrrrrrgh.... :smileyhappy:

Why in the world would the person which is responsible for the PCIe port think: "hmmmm. I think when you plug something in here, we disable the dual screen output..."
Genious....

Where can I propose to Lenovo/Intel that this is a non-logical solution?