Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,323
Solutions: 285

ThinkCentre M70z and M90z Power Supply Recall

All,

I wanted to share this important bulletin announced today:

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Lenovo is voluntarily recalling 160,000 ThinkCentre M70z and ThinkCentre M90z all-in-one (AIO) desktop PCs worldwide sold between May 2010 and January 2012. Lenovo has determined that due to a failure of the power supply in the affected all-in-one PCs, the system can overheat posing a fire hazard. Lenovo has received two customer reports worldwide of fire that resulted in damage to the PC. 

Lenovo recommends that you should immediately stop using the affected desktop PC, and unplug the power cord. Only certain of the ThinkCentre M90z and M70z PCs sold in this timeframe are affected, and all of the affected systems can be identified by machine type and serial number. 

Effective immediately, Lenovo is offering free power-supply replacements for all affected ThinkCentre M90z and ThinkCentre M70z all-in-one desktop PCs. You can use this page to determine whether your ThinkCentre M70z or ThinkCentre M90z all-in-one desktop PC is affected by the recall. Lenovo greatly appreciates your business and apologizes for the inconvenience caused by these issues. 

Please visit our support site HERE to determine if your M70z or M90z is affected and the contact num...

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Serial Port
JWBlue

Re: ThinkCentre M70z and M90z Power Supply Recall

[ Edited ]

I have seen other reports with a different timeframe for when the system was bought.

"According to the alert, the recall affects around 50,500 units that were sold between May 2011 and January 2012."

I would rather not deal with it if I don't have to.

Topics: 78
Kudos: 253
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

JWBlue

Mark's note are based on the info we received internally. Where did you see that report anyway?

Nonetheless, I'm sorry that this may affect you. I notice you have M90z as well. Please check out the support page for safety reason. 

Many thanks for your support!

Best regards,
Cleo 

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
Serial Port
JWBlue

[ Edited ]

Cleo_Lenovo wrote:

JWBlue

Mark's note are based on the info we received internally. Where did you see that report anyway?

I saw it on another website.

I later found out that it was an error.

The Lenovo recall website told me to call Lenovo.

I called and was told my comptuer was not part of the recall.

I was surpised since I bought my system one month after the M90z was released.

Usually, the earlier a machine was build, the more likely it will be part of a recall.

In this case, it did not matter.

JWBlue

It turns out my system is part of the recall. Bummer.

[ Edited ]

JWBlue,

Lenovo has multiple suppliers for many components which is why we are looking up specific model / type serial numbers to determine whether affected or not rather than just going based on build date.

The lookup tool should be used.   If the serial # is not found, users may be directed to call for an agent to work with them to determine whether affected or not.  There is the possibility of a typo when entering the serial, so we'd customers call in if not found or affected.

After systems are repaired, the data will update and future lookups would show a repaired status.  There may be a delay of a week or two in updating the site following a repair.

I hope you are getting service scheduled and will be back to using your system soon.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Serial Port
handlin

I used the web site and was told that my compter was affected.  I received a phone number to call.  I called and promptly spoke to a very polite, knowledgeable person who took down my address etc. and told me that a repairperson would call me to set up an appointment to come to my home (in a small town) to make the repair.

That occurred exactly as promised -- the repairman (an IBM employee) was even on time.

It has been years since I had such professional at-home support.  And my computer is not under warranty.

Thanks.

bkb
Punch Card
bkb

[ Edited ]

Well people, and most importantly message to handlin..
I wish I could say the same in my case. My company has over 200 M90z machines, and it seems 50 of them are affected with this potential problem.
On Monday (8 days ago) we've got in touch with our local Lenovo center, and then we were told to wait. Later that Monday we've received translated version to local language of this press release. After that nothing much has happened. We are still waiting for the replacement PSU units!
But in the meantime we've notified our affected users... and most of them accepted this in normal way. But small minority of those people have taken this news really bad - and after they have started to panic about potential fire. So our technician had to replace their computers. Plus he got some 'regular' curs*s and swear*s from very nerveous users during the computer replacement!
So I must say that I'm rather dissapointed with Lenovo support at this moment.
And I come from one small European country (currently not yet in the E.U.)

It seems that USA and Canada got the premium support for this issue. But what about the others?

Hope this issue is going to be resolved soon in my case.

Mark_Lenovo

bkb,

Sorry to hear that you have had trouble in your account.  As you can imagine, we are trying to serve all of our customers, whether individuals with one system or larger customers with 50 or more units.   We have organized parts around the world to try to co-ordinate this and allow progress to be made as quickly as possible.  As you understand 160K units cannot be repaired overnight, and some 50K of those are in the US.  

We certainly don't want to give the impression that customers in one country are placed as a higher priority than in another.   Could you send me a private message with some details on your account?   I'd like to check into the situation and see what can be done to help move this along.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

Blue Screen Again
All-in-one

I have contacted to the Lenovo recall hotline (855-248-2194) and talked to the support person for replacing power supply. I may receive the phone call from the support person for appointment in few days. I spent almost one day to get the line, I hope my patience pay off.

By the way. eBay seller is indicated that Lite-On (DELL's family company) made power supply model 89Y1686 seems to be used defective parts, and AcBel made model 54Y8861 and Delta made 89Y1687 are OK. Anyone has any more info ?