Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
simmer

ThinkCentre m90z Dual Monitors

I have the m90z with Windows 7 Pro and I cannot get the second monitor to detect. I have installed the latest video drivers.

Any advise or tricks.

Chris

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

Re: ThinkCentre m90z Dual Monitors

how are you connecting to the second monitor vga or dvi?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
simmer

We are using the VGA port.

Punch Card
67GTV

I came across this problem as well.  We are evaluating the purchase of ThinkCentre M90z All-In-One PCs.  I have two M90z Type 0870-A4U PCs running Win7 Pro, and two Lenovo ThinkVision L2321x 23" widescreen monitors.

I was able to get the second monitor to work by putting the  PC into Sleep mode.  Upon waking up and then logging onto the PC (domain PC), the second monitor works!  I was then able to move applications to the second monitor.

If I make any changes to the display settings, like changing to "Show desktop only on 2" and then set it back to "Extend these displays" the second monitor remains black.  At this point, I put the PC into sleep mode.  When I wake up the  PC and log on the second monitor comes up.

This only works in Sleep mode.  It does not work when I Shut down, Restart, Hibernate or even Log off.

Here's another thing, if I go through this routine and do not finish typing the password before the second monitor times out, it does not come back up.

Also, this only works with the DisplayPort cable connected.  It will not work with the VGA cable as the sole connection.  This will work if  I have both cables connected.

This is by no means a solution.  I have Lenovo looking into this.  I will post an update.

Punch Card
67GTV

[ Edited ]

I got the secondary monitor to work by updating the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD drivers.  D'oh!

The PC was at version 8.15.10.2040 dated 1/8/2010. I installed 8.15.10.2226 dated 10/23/2010 from Intel (not Lenovo's 8.15.10.2182 driver). After the required reboot, the secondary monitor came up automatically using the DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

jdd
Blue Screen Again
jdd

Thanks for the solution!!

On Friday, I talked with 3 tech reps from Lenovo Support and they all stated it was not possible even though it is clearly indicated on the Lenovo site: "See more at once with the dual-display mode. Simply connect another monitor using the onboard DisplayPort to increase your screen space." (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/landing_pages/thinkcentre/2010/m90z)

Happily I did not beleive them and access this forum (I should have done that first). After downloading the latest Intel driver, I connected my M90z to my TV screen using a DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI-Dmonitor cable (43N9160) and a Single-Link DVI-D to HDMI cable. AND IT WORKS FINE.

Now, would you know how to transfer the sound? I would like to be able to watch videos and movies on my TV screen. Note that I can also connect to my receiver and get the image on the TV screen.

Thanks in advance.

Punch Card
67GTV

[ Edited ]

JDD,

I posted the my audio issue and solution in the thread titled, "M90z extended monitor issue through display port".  This may help in your situation.

[quote] 

Another thing I discovered after updating the graphics drivers/software was that the audio no longer worked.  To resolve this:

1.  Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound

a.  Select Realtek High Definition Audio then click Set Default

b.  Click OK

[end quote]

Note:  This applies to the M/T: 0870-A4U M90z AiOs we have.  Your default sound device may vary.  From what I recall, the newly added sound device (added by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD driver update) was called "Intel HD Audio".

Btw, I am currently using my M90z with a secondary IBM 19" LCD monitor via a DisplayPort to DVI adapter cable (Lenovo P/N: 45J7915).

Serial Port
handlin

I think the VGA connection is meant to use the M90Z as a monitor for a second computer.  (I have tested this and it works) The hdmi port should (and does on mine) connect as a second monitor for the M90z.

Paper Tape
vanetworking

How do I know which Intel Graphics Media accelerator HD driver to download as there as so many? I'd really like to get my dual monitors working.

Paper Tape
vanetworking

The only accelerated one is see in the list if for linux only?