Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
rszarko

Windows 7 from scratch - A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 32bit from scratch on a M71E - 3157-CTO.  I know my install media is good.  I can't get past this message.  I've searched for drivers...tried all type...nothing.

Can someone tell me where I can download the necessary drive to see the hard drive.

Rick

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Windows 7 from scratch - A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.

Kindly let us know the error message detail and also the hard drive detail you are using.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

What's DOS?
mcutshall

The error message detail is in his description. I get the smae on a W520. "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk or CD, DVD, or USB falsh drive, please insert it now... I'm using a USB to install win7 x64
What's DOS?
mcutshall

Well, my issue turned out to be something to do with my Win7 USB.  Whether it's gone corrupt or what.  I used someone elses Win7 DVD and it is installing just fine now.  Hope that helps someone.

What's DOS?
bentosmoothie

It did help.  I was trying to install Windows 7 (32-bit) from USB onto my ThinkPad X220.  I was seeing the same "missing driver" error ... right after successfully starting the installation.  So, I tried again, but switched to a different USB port (my front-right one instead of my rear-left one) and it worked.

Hope THIS helps someone as well.

What's DOS?
twhitewhite

Thank you. I'd been wracking my brains, scouring the internet for a solution, and even (sadly!) re-ordered the 32-bit version. But I came across your solution (just plug the USB key in a different port!) and thought I'd try it... and it WORKED!

I guess my W520 is different from yours. Originally, I had it plugged in to the upper left-side port, but then retried it on the back right-side, and that's what worked for me...

So to any future seekers - don't re-order a new license and download! Try a different USB port first!

alex1906
Topics: 3
Kudos: 81
Solutions: 25

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

Out of any of the media I suggest to make recovery media with, USB is at the bottom of the list. 

The CDs are the best thing to make media with.  The USB I have seen fail quite a lot.  This is normally due to one slight mistake when creating the media.  Or like stated above, the wrong port. 

I'm glad you all got it working, just remember to help pass on the information you learned from.

Glad it's fixed,

Alex

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve the problem you encountered? Click Solution Provided to let us know!

What we Do in Life will Echo through Eternity. -Maximus Aurelius
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Allow me to add that this particular error message "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." can also show up due to a corrupt ISO download or bad CD/DVD burn.

Been there, done that...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog