Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
belgam21

thinkcentre M55 loud/fast fan speed

hello,

i have a second M55 and  on that the fan is a lot louder than on the other one which is totally quite.

i don't know if the speed fan is too fast it does not sound like a mechincally failure.

any idea how i can set the fan speed or check out what the issue is? i am running win xp sp3

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,238
Solutions: 1,331

Re: thinkcentre M55 loud/fast fan speed

is the M55 small form factor one? is both system running the same bios firmware version and using the same CPU? i have a M55 with the E2140 Core 2 Duo CPU, and it runs nearly silently as compared to the M55 at my friend's office with the Pentium D CPU, where the CPU is constantly howling trying to keep the cpu cool. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Token Ring
belgam21

hi,

how can find out about the specifics?

I noticed one thing. I have speedfan on both pcs. on the 'good' one the cpu temp is 49 or below which is normal

on the other machine the cpu temp is above 60 and rising.

both have a pentium d sticker on them.

another thing do ytou happen to know how i can change the bios firmware? my bios is in italian and I want it in english of course. i did already the bios flash but it didn't work i guess or do i have to put it on a floppy?

thanks for the advice

Token Ring
belgam21

actually for the bios thingy i will remove the cmos battery and see if the languge will reset by itself

will let you know:smileyhappy:

lead_org

you may need to open the desktop casing, and clean the fan/heatsink associated with the CPU. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Token Ring
belgam21

hi

i cleaned the heatsink unit there was some dust on there but the problem still presists. the heatsink unit becomes really hot really quickly i think it is broken. when i compare it to the other pcs one, this one the copper bars are a lot darker then on the other one.

i checked the internet there is one online store selling it hopefully will not be more than 30 euros.

lead_org

[ Edited ]

take the heatsink off, and apply some new Thermal paste like artic silver 5 or something.

Also, you can upgrade your desktop to E5400 CPU, or get the Pentium Dual (using Core 2 Duo technology) E2140 like the one i got. You can barely hear any noise from the desktop, if the hdd is not spinning. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Token Ring
belgam21

thanks. will buy some paste asap and apply could it really be just the paste connecter making the heatsink overheat?

Token Ring
belgam21

[ Edited ]

cleaned all parts applied new paste but fan still runs high because heatsink unit runs hot.

the cpu is between 60-78  celcius ambient (whatever this is) is 50plus celcius accoridng to speedfan both with a flame remote and HD is good temp but i guess they will rise too the longer the pc runs....anymore tips will be appreciated.

i managed to get my BIOS in english btw:smileyhappy:

lead_org

i am not sure what to suggest in this case now. SO the temp gets to 78 degrees when you stress the CPU?

Run Prime95 (free download off the web), and then report the temp back. 

Regards,

Jin Li