Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rogerh
Accepted Solution

8183-TGS: RecordNow! after XP reinstall

I recently acquired an IBM 8183 ThinkCentre secondhand, and, unfortunately, the hard disk was dead on arrival and I do not have recovery disks.  I installed XP pro on a new hard disk, and installed most of the Lenovo drivers and software, and updated them all.  I have tried to install RecordNow! both directly and via the Lenovo software updater program and in each case it fails, stating that it can only used on IBM or Lenovo hardware.

I have two questions:

If I went to the trouble and expense of acquiring and using the official recovery disks, would RecordNow! be happy to install?

Is there any other legitimate way of letting RecordNow! know that it is being installed on genuine IBM hardware?

Many thanks, Roger

Guru
losmeme

Re: 8183-TGS: RecordNow! after XP reinstall

Record Now checks the version of windows, and if it is not an IBM OEM copy, it will not install. If you purchased recovery disks, you'd have to wipe the disk and install the OS fresh from the recovery CDs for Record Now to work, but work it will.

Describe "Dead on Arrival" of the original hard disk drive, does it spin up? There is possibly still a recovery partition on that hard disk, find your nearest geek, and let him have a look at the original disk to see if the recovery partition is still intact and usable. If so, it can be copied to your new HDD, and the system restored for Record Now to work.

Paper Tape
rogerh

Describe "Dead on Arrival" of the original hard disk drive, does it spin up? There is possibly still a recovery partition on that hard disk, find your nearest geek, and let him have a look at the original disk to see if the recovery partition is still intact and usable. If so, it can be copied to your new HDD, and the system restored for Record Now to work.

Unfortunately it is very dead!  It clicks three times when accessed and disk utilities can't read any sectors.  I suppose it could be dismantled and the platters read, but a recovery disk would be cheaper.  I suppose I will just have to find a free burning program, as I really want it as a Windows file and printer server, and just wanted the dvd writer as a backup!

Thanks for the information, anyway.

Guru
losmeme

Yep, clicking HDDs are the new paperweights.

These people HERE sell recovery CDs for many systems. I have ordered from them and they ship quick, had no problems installing the OS. Not sure about their shipping policies to the UK though. Nice thing is you can get an upgrade to Windows 7 for your system at a discount. These disks will only install on IBM/Lenovo systems.