Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Kemar

Connecting SATA dvd rewriter in S50

Can I/ is it possible to install a SATA dvd unit in a Thinkcentre S50 8417? What adapter(s) if any would I need?

Thanks  Kemar

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: Connecting SATA dvd rewriter in S50

there should be a sata port on the desktop that your current hdd is connected to. Can you give the full model number of your system?

8417-xxx, there are extra 3 digits.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
Kemar

Thanks for your interest. The full S50 number is 8417-A4G; the motherboard is 74P1643; the 40 gb hdd is Hitachi Deskstar p/n 07N9673 & PATA powered. There are 2X SATA connectors in more or less the centre of the ‘board & the ‘ribbon strip’ attached to the hdd and the standard PATA CD player has a P5 SATA power connector in parallel to the P4 4-pin Molex plug on the hdd. I hope this makes sense to you & I appreciate any guidance you are able to offer me.

Regards    Kemar

lead_org

given that you have the sata connectors, then the answer is yes you can connect the sata dvd burner.
Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
Kemar

Excellent! Does this mean that all I need is a SATA data cable & that the P5 plug I referred to will provide the necessary SATA power.

Regards      Kemar

lead_org

Re: Connecting SATA dvd rewriter in S50 (picture)

the sata power cable looks like something like this (the black end). If you don't have it, you can buy one of these converter cable for couple of dollars over the internet.

Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
Kemar

Got the SATA power & data/signal kit this weekend and fitted it up. Regrettably, got to the IBM setup screen then a warning message appeared re possible danger to computer and recommendation to disconnect all new hardware, run CHKDSK /F and then restart. Computer has gone haywire so I've drawn a line under the SATA DVD rewriter installation for the time being. Alternatively, if I can get the S50 going properly again, perhaps I'll consider a PATA version ....

Many thanks for your input.  Kemar

lead_org

that is strange. What error did you get?
Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
Kemar

You’re right!  It is strange. To get to the IBM Setup Utility screen is a continual problem since the startup process takes me into the Windows logo straightaway. I wanted the Utility particularly to check that I'd got the SATA connectors enabled before installing the SATA dvd. Then when I connected the SATA kit the Utility screen came up – and hung, unresponsive to any keyboard action until the blue warning came up as per last post (I haven’t attempted to replicate). The S50 lost a heap of Local Services that became disabled, including the internet, and which took me a long time to determine & a couple of hours to re-establish. It’s working reasonably  well now and I don’t intend to upset it for a while.

The project has been put on the back burner now since I’ve convinced myself that I don’t really need a dvd rewriter on my stand-by machine!

Again, thanks for your interest & input.

Kemar