Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
CanardBlanc
Accepted Solution

FDDrive ribbon not connected..

Would appreciate your help!!

Got an IBM ThinkCentre delivered today...

It does have a problem…there is a white ribbon (about 1.25 inches wide) that goes from the FDD connector on the mainboard to the FDDrive. It is connected to the mainboard, but the drive end is not connected.

The drive end of the ribbon has a blue area with some flat metal pins, and the FDDrive has an area where this ribbon needs to be connected, but I am not quite sure how to do this. Maybe you need to slide the cable retainer upward at the FDDrive end, and insert the blue end of the white cable in the connector slot.

Would that be the right thing to do?

I looked in the IBM website for info on the IBM ThinkCentre S51, Type 8171, Model Y1B, but did not find anything specifically on how to connect the white ribbon to the FDDrive.

Thank you in advance for your help.

What's DOS?
DuckHunter11

Re: FDDrive ribbon not connected..

I have pondered your query mightily, I have. Given the type of ribbon cable you describe I would assume it is similar to those used in laptop connections. So would either be a type of snap-down clip, or a connector that needs to be pried up (carefully) at each end, then once the cable connector is inserted pressed back down.

[end ponder]
[exit]:robotwink:
Paper Tape
CanardBlanc

Re: FDDrive ribbon not connected..

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for your reply, DuckHunter11.

Your name does give me some concern, and the location of SC, even more.

They shoot ducks there!!! :smileysurprised:

Have a friend who provided me a link to Gateway instructions, and was able to see how the ribbon is connected to the FDD.

The instructions go along with your guidance:

So would either be a type of snap-down clip, or a connector that needs to be pried up (carefully) at each end, then once the cable connector is inserted pressed back down.

Thanks for the help.

Enjoy your weekend!!

Message Edited by CanardBlanc on 07-11-2009 10:13 PM