Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
TNgram

Help with anti-virus programs, PLEASE!

I have a brand new Lenovo ThinkCentre 9702 and am having a world of trouble trying to download my anti-virus program (AVG, which I've used for years).....have downloaded and tried to install a minimum of 15 times! Keep getting the message "cannot install...file corrupted" or "cannot install...this is not a Win32 application".  To which I say BALONEY!!!! (and many other things!) It worked fine on my IBM computer for 6 yrs, which was also WINXP.

I've tried by shutting my ZoneAlarm firewall down while downloading and/or installing these programs, so I know that's not the cause.  My feeling is it's this dad-burned Windows Security Center but I can find no way to shut it down or delete it from my computer. It's not in the Add/Remove list, and nowhere can I find the option NOT to use it.  It wasn't on my IBM, so never had these problems before.

Can you give me any hope, or any clues why I can't have my choice of anti-virus programs??  By the way, Norton came on this machine and I promptly removed it with the Norton Removal tool.....I've tried it on other computers and it "messes" up everything, so I won't have it on this one.

Any help appreciated, and thank you in advance!!

TNgram

802.11n
netnubar

Re: Help with anti-virus programs, PLEASE!

Hullo TNgram,

It sounds like the download hasn't completed properly or has completed but with errors.  Have a look at the size of the file from AVG's website and compare this value with the size of the file(s) you have downloaded.  Do they match?

Yes, if you're using Zonealarm, it may be a good idea to turn off XP's firewall.  This can be done from the control panel.  Try clicking:

Start menu >  Settings > Control Panel > Security Centre > Windows Firewall (at the bottom).

The box that follows will give you the option of turning XP's native firewall off.

Paper Tape
TNgram

netnubar wrote:

Hullo TNgram,

It sounds like the download hasn't completed properly or has completed but with errors.  Have a look at the size of the file from AVG's website and compare this value with the size of the file(s) you have downloaded.  Do they match?

Yes, if you're using Zonealarm, it may be a good idea to turn off XP's firewall.  This can be done from the control panel.  Try clicking:

Start menu >  Settings > Control Panel > Security Centre > Windows Firewall (at the bottom).

The box that follows will give you the option of turning XP's native firewall off.

Thanks for your response, netnubar!

The XP firewall was turned off as soon as I got ZoneAlarm set up and installed, so that's taken care of.....but on your advice, I double-checked anyway!

As for AVG....I have two instances of it on my desktop, and one of Avira, another free anti-virus that was recommended.  Here's what it says when I click on 'properties' of these three icons, and I'm not sure what the 'size on disk' means???

AVG:  Size, 778 KB   Size on disk, 780 KB

AVG: Size, 243 bytes   Size on disk, 4.00KB  (maybe this one didn't complete the download?)

Avira;  Size, 627KB       Size on disk, 628 KB

I NEED an anti-virus program on my puter!!! I don't like going online "naked" without it!!!!!

Again, thanks for your help......hope this will give you an idea of what's going on.

TNgram

802.11n
netnubar

Hey TNgram,

Yep.  I'm fairly sure that the downloads haven't completed.  In fact, none have gone beyond 1 MB.  Both free and trial versions of AVG are large downloads.  Have a look at:

http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe#tba2 (the free version with a download size of 46.1 MB) and

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=triaav#tba2 (the trial version with a download size of 56.3 MB).

Remove the files you've downloaded and try again.  Once you've started downloading, leave it for a while and see if that makes a difference. 

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

hello you can try i sujjest you do it the avast anti virus

the home edition is free of cost and has real time protection you can get it here

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
TNgram

Many thanks ....again......Netnubar.  I did try downloading AVG and Avira (separately, of course) twice more. On this ultra-ultra slow dial-up, they each take from 4 to 6 hours to download. I never stop the downloading, but have the box checked  "close this window when download completes", so I rightfully assume that it actually has completed. Unfortunately, that assumption is always wrong!

To both you and the nice person from India who responded, (my gratitude!!!), I got tired of fighting this whole situation and caved in.  I purchased ZoneAlarm anti-virus, downloaded and installed it, so I'm now protected. It seems to be a very aggressive anti-virus, so even though it's not the brand I wanted, I'm at least partially shielded from the 'bad' stuff on the net.

Many blessings!

TNgram

Paper Tape
TNgram

I appreciate, so much, your taking the time to respond to my plea!  As I just responded to Netnubar, I got supremely tired of fighting with these multiple, incomplete downloads, so purchased ZoneAlarm virus protection.  (Too bad I didn't receive your suggestion about Avast until after I'd done this!)  Since I've used ZA firewall for years, I figured this Lenovo might accept a purchased product!  Never had these problems with my IBM.......this is going to take some getting used to!

Blessings to you, and thank you!

TNgram

Paper Tape
TNgram

I'm back again with a new problem.  I just tried to send a message with a link enclosed and I can't get this computer to underline the link and make it 'clickable'.

Went to "Tools-Options" and can't find any way to do that......it does however underline email addresses, so if it does that, why not the urls as well??  I also checked "Internet Options" and in the Advanced tab, it's already checked to underline links "Always", but it's not doing that.  Do I take a big hammer to the tower to make it work right?????  (just kidding, but I've certainly felt like it!)

Thanks in advance for any help!  You're all terrific!!

TNgram

Maliha