Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
benny_es

Ibm thinkcentre s51 8171 - graphics card wont work!!

[ Edited ]

Hey all, I have been reading this forum for a couple of hours and there seems to be some intelligent people out there who may be able to help me. Ive just bought a Geforce 8400GS 256mb graphics card, having put it into the correct PCI express slot the computer now wont boot, leaving me with a blank screen and an annoting beeping.

I have had a look at the bios and set the video selection to pci, but still nothing! is there something im missing, can these ibm's be upgraded in the first place?

hope someone can help

Ben :smileyvery-happy:

Punch Card
Grinder

Re: Ibm thinkcentre s51 8171 - graphics card wont work!!

Flatery will get you nowhere,try previous posts check out hungerian link

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/E-S-series-ThinkCentre-Desktops/S51-Upgrade-Video/td-p/30851/page/2

Paper Tape
Lem9mm

I don't want to use a dual monitor I just want to install a video card that works for a 64 bit windows 7 for my s51-8171. Ever since I upgraded from windows xp to 64 bit windows 7  my dvd player does not work well or at all. I get a error message that says"Direct draw Accerleration, which is not available in you system please enable it in 'Direct Diagnostic Tool' (dxdiag.exe)" However the standard  vga graphics adapter inside the s51-8171 states Direct X feature, such as  DirectDraw Acceleration,Direct 3D Acceleration, AGP Texture Acceleration: Are not available. Does anybody know which video/ graphic card  I need to correct this?  Or even if this a video/graphic problem?

What's DOS?
rolfer

It won't upgrade to a pci-e video card as there is no selection in the bios for that...only on board video and the pci video. I tried a pci video card and it worked no problem.

What's DOS?
drkasimk

16x card wont work

Punch Card
mastodon

What kind of video card could you fit in? Would it be a ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT ok? (PCI or 16xPCI-E)

What's DOS?
cadhead

I would suspect you do not have a PCIe x1 card, which is all the slot supports. I spent a month and 2 cards later, I found one that works. It's actually a great card. I use it for 2D & 3D CAD Here is the link if your interested. http://www.amazon.com/Radeon-HD4350-Retail-Graphics-900308/dp/B0038LWTUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327... Nice to see I'm not the only one with this computer!