Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
umbertoyltp
Accepted Solution

S50 no optical drive detected?

Hi,

I have been figuring out the extensive BIOS options for the boot sequence, while fitting an empty SATA harddisk.

It seems to me the S50 does not detect an IDE optical drive, and the bios only says No operating system found and fails to boot from CD. (The SATA drive is the only device in the detected IDE list)

I am going to replace the IDE cable and try a different power connector, but maybe you have some advice for BIOS settings? Can someone explain the different boot sequence modes and what is the most common setup?

This is the second machine that acts like that, and I have another 10 to go. I had a few machines before that had no problems booting from CD.

Mucho bliged if you can enlighten me on this one. I am an experienced home pc systems technician.

Robert

Paper Tape
umbertoyltp

Re: S50 no optical drive detected?

Well, in the mean time I found my own answer by trial and error.

The IDE CDROM drive was selected by jumper to Slave, with no Master present.

For some reason ThinkCentre BIOS does not repond with an error, as e.g. Asrock boards do.

With some errors it even just powers down again!

So if you have a situation with a SATA harddisk present and one IDE CDROM drive, be sure to not set the jumper to Slave. Maybe this is of some help to someone else.

Robert

:manvery-happy:

Punch Card
Grinder

Re: S50 no optical drive detected?

Glad everyting worked out for you,the next time it happens you can try and tap F12 while booting, it should give you an option to boot from CD rom