Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Grinder

Re: S51 Upgrade Video

Hi MishMish, the first thing that comes to mind is, where is the monitor pluged in , intel or nvida,that sounds like the intel,video memory for s51,did you see mastodom post previously about the hungarian fix, card runs at 1x

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/E-S-series-ThinkCentre-Desktops/S51-Upgrade-Video/td-p/30851/page/2

Fanfold Paper
MishMish

[ Edited ]

Grinder wrote:

Hi MishMish, the first thing that comes to mind is, where is the monitor pluged in , intel or nvida,that sounds like the intel,video memory for s51,did you see mastodom post previously about the hungarian fix, card runs at 1x

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/E-S-series-ThinkCentre-Desktops/S51-Upgrade-Video/td-p/30851/page/2

Thanks for your reply.

The monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 226BW) is connected to the Nvidia card via DVI.

The Nvidia 9500GS card is a PCI-e X16 one. I installed it in the PCI-e X1 slot which is located in the S51 Card Riser.

At first, it did not work. The S51 could not been turned on.

After reading suggestions provided in this forum, and mastodom's amongst them, I took the Nvidia 9500GS card and covered some of its connecting pins (instead of melting them or breaking them as suggested by the Hungarian gizer) and it worked.

I updated the BIOS and disabled the onboard graphics both in the BIOS and in the Device Manger.

The result is that it works, but not in a full sense, as the BIOS will not use the Nvidia's full capacity and Windows 7 Upgrader does not see that the Nvidia card should more than suffice to run Windows 7.

I ran the DirectX check tool and it says that the current DirectX version is 10.0.

Punch Card
Grinder

Hi I'm stumped,does the card have a VGA output?

Fanfold Paper
MishMish

[ Edited ]

Grinder wrote:

Hi I'm stumped,does the card have a VGA output?

Hi Grinder,

I understand your confusion.

Yes, the card has a VGA output, as well as HDMI and DVI outputs.

The only thing I can think of is the pins' coverring by cellotape. That causes the S51 not to enjoy fully from the card's capacity, do not you think?

Punch Card
Grinder

Yes you are right i don,t think,but windows should see all the memory in the card no matter what speed its running,did you try vga output from card?

Punch Card
Grinder

[ Edited ]

Hello Agin MishMish i just installed the same card(9500 1gig mem) on a new 64bit Vista,(NOT a S51-171 Box)and the window drivers are not quite the best, get the new drivers from NVIDA they have a system update program that will give you the latest drivers you need they seem to work a little better than what windoze supply and they dont need constant updates that fail

Paper Tape
jarderwil330

does your monitor have a dvi and a vga port

Punch Card
Grinder

Yes it does, and i'm using a DVI cable fot it it seems to drive windows  crazy

Paper Tape
jarderwil330

well have you tryed putting the vga into the onboard video and the dvi into the graphics card by doin this somtimes you can configure your computer using the vga display and once you configured it then you can switch over to dvi

Punch Card
Grinder

[ Edited ]
Hi i'm only playing with machine,and so far i only use it to watch tv and everythig works ok, had a hard time upgrading to vista64 SP2 had to format drive and start again since i didn't back up the first time but it's running at 1080p reseolution whatever that is, internet acces is ok seems to be a bit faster than 32 bit programs ,and most important it doesn't crash,windoze kept giving me updates that were't sucsessful,and then it kept trying,to update it again,when i fomatted ,uncle bill wated to know if i wanted to keep old files and i said yes and than they told me i couldn't use them, when machine came back all the tv programs i recorded were there ,so i watched one of them (don't tell anyone).and after that i went to NVIDIA and they have drivers from september 2009 much better than Windoze ones ,but the card is giving me a hard time with linux,back to the drawing board,and yes i have a switch on monitor with VGA and DVI cables(from card) going in, can't really tell the diffrence between the two. Having fun Ciao