Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
shdowflare

ThinkCentre S50 8184-PUZ not booting

So, it seems my S50 has decided to no longer boot for me.  In fact, I only get the PXE/network boot config message (Ctl+S to enter menu), but after that when the POST begins, the screen goes dark and after 5 seconds I get 2 consecutive beeps.  I've looked in the HW maintenance manual and don't see an entry for 2 beeps, other than the catch all of "any other combination of beeps" = Replace System Board.

Is this what I'm left with?  I've tried resetting the CMOS twice and pulled out everything except the CPU and one RAM stick.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

RMattoo
Topics: 3
Kudos: 94
Solutions: 91

Re: ThinkCentre S50 8184-PUZ not booting

Hi

Thanks for your post ,

From the problem decription it seems some issue related to Bios of the system board .

kindly contact the support team via the link below
http://www.lenovo.com/contact/us/en/

Cheers!!!

Guru
losmeme

It's possible the boot order in your BIOs has become corrupted. As soon as you start the machine press F1 to enter BIOs. If you never use a netowrk boot, turn off PXE boot completely, then rearrange the boot order under the appropriate tab.

What's DOS?
shdowflare

Thanks for the tip.  The challenge is that I am not able to get into the BIOS!  The screen goes dark before I see any option to get into the BIOS and then the dreaded two beeps.  I've tried another PSU and that didn't help.  I downloaded a BIOS update tool but it seems I can't even boot to CDROM to run the BIOS update.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Guru
losmeme

This is an older machine now, did you ever have any problems with the clock keeping correct time? I would replace the coin battery on the motherboard (Type: CR2032 available at WalMart, hardware stores, these are very common, inexpensive batteries.) If that doesn't do it, then the MB is definately kaput. I have saved a few machines this way that give un-documented beeps.

Just install the new one gingerly, I think on your machine the battery stands on it's edge in the holder, which could break off if too much pressure is used. Just go slow and match the orientation of the new battery to what is there now. Please let us know how this turns out for you.