Support in other languages: 
Guru
Mornsgrans

Re: New Lenovo's website

Great? - Nice? Done a good job?

Oh god, which website did you visit?

Since the "Support and Download" sites have been moved to support.lenovo.com the user has to do a "clicking-orgy".

• The dropdown headlines are awful! If you are looking for a tool or driver and you don't know the category, you have to expand all items hoping to find the device driver. The result is, that it cannot be found (f.ex: TPM for ThinkCentre 8811 via "Quick Path")
  • A lot of migrated pages are empty - it's ridiculous to ask whether this empty site was helpful (f.ex. all pages of the BIOS-simulator)
  • If you want to help somebody i a forum finding a driver, you cannot post a direct link to all possible drivers. There must be posted 10 links now, if you want to post the links to the five different wireless LAN-drivers of a T41 (including the links to the readme's)
  • A lot of driver-downloads to older ThinkPad-models 300, 500, 700 - series have been dropped - shame on you.

If you are very active i a Thinkpad-specific forum or are administrating Thinkpads you'll spend much more time to find a driver on the new website (with 20 clicks and more) than on the good IBM-download-site (three cklicks maximum)

Finally the flash-animations on the website are horrible for mobile users!!

These are only a few disadvantages of the new Kindergarten (nursery school) - website.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Fanfold Paper
irvington

so where do we go for drivers since the site is broken?

I dont understand why default my new laptop has drivers newer than the drivers listed on the site?

I just want to be up to date. do we just go download whatever intel says we should? I thought OEM's were suppose to handle this stuff. I guess we're to be our own tech support with driver updates from lenovo, windows update and intel?

some of us are lost.

Greps Everything
ConnectDon

irvington wrote:

some of us are lost.

As are the rest of us. :smileyhappy:

It is not unusual for new laptops to ship with drivers that are more recent than those available on the support site, nor is it unusual for manufacturers to provide generic drivers that are more recent than OEM drivers.  Eventually everyone will catch up, and then the cycle will begin anew.

You can use either support.lenovo.com or consumersupport.lenovo.com to obtain your drivers.  Both appear to be working fine.

Greps Everything
ConnectDon

[ Edited ]

Mornsgrans wrote:

These are only a few disadvantages of the new Kindergarten (nursery school) - website. 

I can still hold my own with the K-3 and K-4 crowd, but all my PowerShell 2.0 regular expression scripts are K-5 authored validated. :smileywink:

1) German Support Site > Search Box (Top Right) > tpad-matrix > Drivers and software - ThinkPad

2) The TPM driver you're looking for is located under Security in the driver matrix.  Of course, there's no link for Security at the top of the page.

Guru
Mornsgrans

ConnectDon schrieb:

Mornsgrans wrote:

I can still hold my own with the K-3 and K-4 crowd, but all my PowerShell 2.0 regular expression scripts are K-5 authored validated. :smileywink:

1) German Support Site > Search Box (Top Right) > tpad-matrix > Drivers and software - ThinkPad

2) The TPM driver you're looking for is located under Security in the driver matrix.  Of course, there's no link for Security at the top of the page.

Do you really think, that the support-site needs a seperate support for finding not mentioned drivers? If a website needs dozends of clicks to find the right driver, it is a very poor site. If you have to describe every day several tims to newbies, how to navigate on the Lenovo Support Site (what a shame to tell about "Support") you will learn very fast the lots of disadvantages of the new download-site.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Greps Everything
ConnectDon

Mornsgrans wrote:

Do you really think, that the support-site needs a separate support for finding not mentioned drivers? 

In your case, what needed to happen (and what has already happened) is that Lenovo needed to add the TPM driver to the Security category for the M55p on the German support site.  In general, though, the driver matrix (which is also available on the main page of the US support site) should serve as an alternate method of selecting drivers that are already available in Download Drivers and Software.

As a practical matter, I prefer the navigation scheme of the new support site to the driver matrix.  For me, the disadvantage of having to open a category is offset by the advantage of being able to click and see the files without having to open the detailed document.  Also, I find changing products to be a straightforward process since all the relevant links are always at the top of the page.  Other forum users have differing opinions, of course, but between the two options hopefully one will work for you and those you are supporting.

Serial Port
handlin

Re: Discuss - new site layout

I find no disagreement with the other comments - except I hope you do not try to copy the Dell model which I do not like either.  The old version here was better.  I agree with the offputting colors and will add that the pages that do not resize horizontally are really annoying.  I usually come to this site on an x61 tablet which does not have a wide screen, but more importantly, it is difficult for anyone to follow wide lines of text across the page and easily locate the next line when returning to the left.  Your page designers may need help from successful, experienced web page designers

The site does not look professional and the information presented does not seem to come from a professional organization.

Greps Everything
ConnectDon

I'd like to see the Learn More / My Download List links open in a new window, so that any open categories / file details remain open.

Paper Tape
nemacalzgerxiii

just got a new phone not more than 2 weeks ago. kinda having issues with navigating the site, i also had issues when i checked my phones warranty and it shows no records. does that mean that my phone could be fake. i need help.

What's DOS?
Ken_D

As a member of Lenovo Partner Network Service Providers, I am taking the Lenovo Warranty Certification RDD08-BP and the website has changed so much that I believe the exam is now obsolete.   The exam prep speaks of "restricted content" that requires a logon. Does this logon still exist?  I am unable to locate any "login" link and the pages look so much different from the exam prep course.