Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

Known issues / limitations for new support site at time of launch

[ Edited ]

All,

While we have spent many of the last weeks testing the site and working through the items found during test, there always remains a list of potential things you do not know about, but which others will find.   Here is a list of some known limitations that may exist at time of launch of the new support site today.

• Auto-Detect - supported on Think branded systems running Internet explorer only.   Since the autodetect function relies on BIOS content to identify the system, Idea and Essential series systems are not supported at this time.  

• Quick path does not return results - This is most likely a browser compatibility issue - Firefox 4.x, most versions of chrome, IE 9, and most versions of IE 8 work well. IE 6 and 7 should also work.   Firefox 3.6 and some IE 8 versions displayed issues during test. Try a different browser if you experience difficulty.

• Links that point back to legacy eSupport. - A site based redirect is in place which should redirect any links contained within doccuments on the support site which point to URLs for other doccuments on the legacy support site.  These should be masked by the redirect, but if any are encountered that take you back to the legacy site, please note them through the site feedback function.
  • Document or system model not found. We have conducted several rounds of data migration, and it is possible that some of the most recently announced systems and their supporting doccumentation may not be available on the new site.  Work continues in real time to ensure all content is available.
  • Individual file attachments could be missing. Migrated files may not have been tagged correctly during the migration process.  If you encounter missing file content, please use the site feedback function to note the page and missing content so that it can be corrected.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Blue Screen Again
techie_mainer

Re: Known issues / limitations for new support site at time of launch

Hi Mark.  I'm pretty disappointed with this 'first impression' I got of the Lenovo support website.

First off, you mentioned quickpath "should" work with IE 6 & 7, and I have found that it doesn't.  I am running IE 7.0 and quickpath does not work.  It has randomly frozen up as I have gone in multiple times and tried to get drivers for a T510 laptop (4349-2LU).  IE7.0 reports an "Error" status down on the status bar, and the drop down menus stop working.  Maybe I was typing the wrong thing?  Well, I typed it exactly like it was stated in the description (•Subseries (ex: IdeaPad S10-3, ThinkPad T510), so I typed ThinkPad T510, and it says it cannot find that model.

Also, when  we find ourselves (me and others on my team) trying to use the "Browse" option to select our machines, we are asking "why so many levels?"  we just want to get drivers for a T510, so why do we have to select:

1: Laptops

2: T Series Laptops

3: Subseries ThinkPad T510

4: Machine Type 4349

5: Model 2LU

6: OS (more complaints about this below)

Six levels to find the product I'm looking for?  Seriously?  Wow...seems a bit much.

The Auto-Detect?  We try to run that and our computer simply freezes up and we have to reboot (tried multiple times).

Now, about the OS selection in the "Browse" function - we're running WinXP SP3 at our office.  So you'd think we could pick XP SP3 from the OS list, right?  Well you pick it, and no driver updates show up.  You have to select the basic "Windows XP" and you can then find the drivers you need (hopefully - see below).

As far as the actual drivers, if you can get to the correct driver page:

* The main driver page does not list dates for the drivers, so you cannot tell which driver is the most current one

* Many of the categories have duplicate links (two links that lead to the exact same location, or two links that say the exact same thing, but go to different versions of the driver)

* Categories?  What type of names are "Consideration" and "Booting?"  Maybe these categories didn't translate the way they should have?  Or is this list a mish-mash of Driver updates and Troubleshooting suggestions?

* Why do I have to go to the BIOS updates category to find a TPM update?

* Looking for the updates for the Video driver?  Good luck finding them, cause the video driver update is under the Audio category.

* Some of the drivers listed have some of the words in French some in English. (Driver Audio pour Windows Vista)

So, you might say that I'm being nit-picky, but holy cow, there is a LOT wrong that I've found with the drivers site, and I've only looked for 1 model, and we have several hundred devices, of which we have four five different models (T510, x201, A70z, M90, and R500), so are we going to have to go through this fiasco for every model we support?

It seems like these mistakes that the guys in our IT shop have found are 'rookie' mistakes that should have been picked up on by a Public Relations group, or a Web Admin/Editor before the site went into production.  The credibility for the new site is completely shot in my opinion, and now what I want to know is whether Lenovo will be maintaining the 'old' support site with current driver updates, until they can get the 'new' site somewhat functional?

Mark_Lenovo

Techie,

Thanks for the very detailed feedback.    Browser compatibility is a top focus for us right now.   Yesterday, we also experienced some issues in the afternoon that impaired both the quick path and browse functions - These were resolved by 6 pm EST.

We have updates underway that should address the IE 8 and IE 9 issues and are working on IE 7 and IE 6.

The browse function is intended for people who aren't sure of their product.  As an experienced user, I agree it is a lot of clicks, and I'm note sure that the results returned currently, are as refined as we would expect given the level of detail in the selections.  We will keep working on this.

I would imagine more experienced users like yourself and your team, using the quick path.   I completely agree that it has to work well, so ensuring the browser compatibility is key.

Thanks again for the feedback - it definitely helps!

Best regards,

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
koolcaz

I use chrome and the quickpath didn't work initially but now does (thank goodness as the browse function does take a lot of steps).

As with Techie, I find the driver download options very confusing as there are duplicate links as well as links to OLD drivers under different categories.

e.g. (4401-CTO) BIOS Update Utility file

Bios

BIOS Update Utility - 1.08-1.08 - 16 Apr 2011 

Power Management

Power Manager for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad

There is ALSO a BIOS Update Utility file however it is - 1.06,  released on 08 Jun 2011

Mark_Lenovo

Koolcaz,

Thanks for the update on chrome and quickpath - I'm using chrome, so that's important to me!

We are trying to catch up on getting new drivers / bios for some of our latest systems published right now, so that is one of our top priorities, but the duplicates are definitely next on our list for next week to tackle.

Mark

Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo