Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

New Support site is here - some Q & A

[ Edited ]

website moving.jpg

You can be among the first to check out Lenovo's new support site http://support.lenovo.com

Q: So, why a new support site?   

A:  Several reasons.  First, despite some home page updates and usability tweeks over the last 18 months, the Think support site is an aging infrastructure based on a system that existed before the Lenovo acquisition of the PC company from IBM in 2005.  The site has experienced a number of brief outages during the last year and since performance and stability are key, we needed to move to a more modern and robust infrastructure to scale with the growing volume of our business.    

Another reason is integration.  Today, we have five different support websites running on four different infrastructures.   Most customers don't see this, one visible seam is the Think support site and the Idea consumer support site.  While they are cross linked, they each have their own search function, and have entirely different structures and navigation functionality.   We want to consolidate on a single site, with common search and navigation features to help you find information on the Lenovo product or service you are looking for.

Q:  When will this consolidation be completed?

A:  Soon - the next phase will integrate the support sites for Korean and Japan, and the existing multi-country consumer support site.  

Q: What is happening now?  How will traffic move to the new site?

A:  Beginning today, we will start informing customers about the new support site through our blogs, discussion here in the forum, and through banners on the existing support site.  Then shortly, we will begin redirecting traffic to the new site, changing the link pointers throughout www.lenovo.com.   For example, the support tab at the top of the forum will soon point to the new site.  Internal links at the document level will all redirect to the new site.   The old site will remain up for several more weeks for comparison, and in case our customers still need access to materials there.   Eventually, the old site will be sunset.   Existing links in Google and other search engines, and standing links from third party sites will be handled by redirect.

Q: Has all the data been migrated over?

A:  The majority of content has been successfully migrated, however work continues for some of the most recently announced products.   If you don't find what you are looking for, or find a broken link or other error, use the site feedback button to bring this to our attention.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

Re: New Support site is here - some Q & A

[ Edited ]

I'll try to be kind:

It's an utter heap of crap that you are producing here!

It looks worse

it is extremely slow

you have to click way too many times

things are missing

Whomever did this, should be fired!

Greps Everything
ConnectDon

RealBlackStuff wrote:
(numbers added)

1. It looks worse

2. it is extremely slow

3. you have to click way too many times

4. things are missing

1. OK.

2. Has been most of the weekend.  No issues this evening.

3. I think there are a couple of reasons for that.  One is that the site is solution-oriented and takes a step by step approach to providing those solutions.  The other is that the site is structured.  I don't mean dynamic, which it obviously is.  What I mean is that if you use a web query in Excel to model a Document ID (Learn More) page, it works as expected.  That lets you build a custom driver worksheet(s) which doesn't require you to visit the support site.

4. Yes, they are.

Punch Card
67GTV

Great!  On the night I pick to download software for my new IdeaCentre K330.  "We're sorry.  The number you have dialed has been disconnected."  First Win7 SP1 breaks my Lenovo BrightController and SightProtector (what ever the hell they are) and now I cannot locate these apps.  Try clicking Support > IdeaCentre . . it don't work!  LMFAO!

Token Ring
len0v0

IdeaPad S205 not listed on support.lenovo.com.

consumersupport.lenovo.com down for three days now (netbook was listed there).

I bought an IdeaPad S205 three days ago and can't download drivers. Horrible "Lenovo experience". :smileymad:

Broadband 3G
JDay

[ Edited ]

RealBlackStuff wrote:

I'll try to be kind:

It's an utter heap of crap that you are producing here!

It looks worse

it is extremely slow

you have to click way too many times

things are missing

Whomever did this, should be fired!

I have to agree. The site is probably fine for most consumers but it is absolutely unacceptable for support of business class machines. Too much crap to go through just to get to the correct driver page, especially for anybody who has to support several different models of ThinkPads. And the layout is quite ugly.

Mark_Lenovo

Hey,

Some of the feedback here is for missing Idea content - the S205 or K330 - these are currently covered by the http://consumersupport.lenovo.com site.   This content has not migrated over yet, but will be moved soon as part of the strategic consolidation on the new support site.

Here is a bit of background on what is changing and why we are making this strategic shift to a consolidated site. 

I appreciate your patience with us as we undertake these next transition steps and work through any unexpected issues which are prone to arise in a project of this size.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Token Ring
len0v0

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

Some of the feedback here is for missing Idea content - the S205 or K330 - these are currently covered by the http://consumersupport.lenovo.com site.   This content has not migrated over yet, but will be moved soon as part of the strategic consolidation on the new support site.

The Problem is: http://consumersupport.lenovo.com has been down for three days now. So there's no way to download the drivers (and BIOS) for these models from an official Lenovo site right now...

Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

len0v0, et all,

There appears to be some domain / internet issues which has been impacting the ability of users to access the consumer support site.   While I have been able to access it this evening, it is possible that others may still have isues.

If you are still experiencing trouble accessing the Idea drivers and information through http://consumersupport.lenovo.com directly, you may try accessing by the IP address directly.  Try using http://123.127.211.194/select.html

Apologies for the difficulties you may have encountered.

Best regards,

Mark

Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

Ctrl-Alt-Del
thefred

Sorry, but the new site is awful. What's next? Disabling System Update? After the problem with having no functional drivers for switchable graphics, now this friggin new site says that my T400 2765-TDG even doesn't exist...

What a big pile of sh** this is. Lenovo is currently in the state to kill itself by making the same mistakes as Dell already did...