Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
allancady

"Kudo" is not a word.

The word is "kudos", singular noun. It's from Greek, where a final "s" doesn't indicate plural. And "kudoed"??? Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Guru
dragnoak

Re: "Kudo" is not a word.

[ Edited ]

So ?'s ur ---> ? :smileytongue:

I come from Finnish ancestry. I thought I was giving Kudos (pieces of my flesh) to anyone who helps me, like the vikings did! :smileysurprised:

• Kudos, a Finnish word for tissue (Flesh)

Yeah, you do have a ---> (point). But it's moot.  In American law, a point in a case is said to be moot when it has been made irrelevant and would not have any effect on the outcome, thus it does not need to be considered further.

Advertising, and the internet, has totally blown away the proper spelling, and meaning of many words. 

Cheers!

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT
Lenovo Y470 085525U 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor ( 2.00GHz 1333MHz 6MB )
IdeaCentre A520 Intel® Core™ i5-3230M processor ( 2.60GHz 2600MHz 3MB )
802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Maybe we should Google it! :smileywink:

Here are dictionary.com's definitions:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kudos

But you can be the decider of how you want to use it!  :smileyvery-happy:

As long as you don't disrespect anyone in the process.  :smileysurprised:

Such is the fun of the Internets (which consists of "a series of tubes").

P.S. - Dragnoak, that "pieces of my flesh" concept is pretty wild. And you have a cool pic! (yes, I read the story)

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

Jimbo,

Thanks!.

Allancady,

Thanks for the feedback.  "Kudos" is the default term used to indicate thanks or positive votes in communities that run Lithium software.   We've thought about changing it ourselves several times but have been challenged on two points:

1) What term would one select that is relevant and easily understood by members from many countries and cultures?

2) The term selected would need to have logical versions available to show tense.   For example, Kudos, "kudoed" - as it when it occured.  Kudoed on a certain date, etc.  And of course, the verb form - the action to provide that feedback, which is where "kudo" probably comes into the picture.  To kudo is to provide kudos.

Gramatical?  Logical?  Not sure.    I try to look at the larger purpose for the feature.

If you have a good idea for an alternate term that would be widely understood and fits the other criteria, we are listening!

Thanks!

Mark 

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Lenovo Staff
Serene_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Interesting points!

From Dictionary.com

ku·do
   [koo-doh, kyoo-] Show IPA
noun, plural ku·dos for 2.
honor; glory; acclaim: No greater kudo could have beenbestowed.
a statement of praise or approval; accolade; compliment:smileysurprised:ne kudo after another.
Origin:
1925–30; back formation from kudos, construed as a plural

Usage note
See kudos 1 .

From Merriam- Webster
Definition of KUDO
: award, honor <a score of honorary degrees and … otherkudos — Time>
: compliment, praise <rarely hear that kind of kudo to men anymore — Ellen Goodman>

Usage Discussion of KUDO
Some commentators hold that since kudos is a singular word it cannot be used as a plural and that the word kudo is impossible. But kudo does exist; it is simply one of the most recent words created by back-formation from another word misunderstood as a plural. Kudos was introduced into English in the 19th century; it was used in contexts where a reader unfamiliar with Greek could not be sure whether it was singular or plural. By the 1920s it began to appear as a plural, and about 25 years later kudo began to appear. It may have begun as a misunderstanding, but then so didcherry and pea.

I love and hate English - the borrowings, influences of other languages - the changes are mindboggling at times!

WW Social Media
T420, Yoga 13, Yoga Tab 8, K900
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español