Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
niriven
Accepted Solution

Accidental Chemical Solvent Spill, Covered Under TPP contract?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Well I have had my Thinkpad for 4-5 months now and am extremely happy with it. When I purchased my Thinkpad, I also got a 1 year TPP protection plan on the laptop.

Tonight I had an unfortunate accident where I spilled chemical solvent (acetone) on my palmrest which while trying to wipe it off, also damaged the keyboard area (mouse buttons, spacer, etc). The acetone spill melted the palmrest a bit and also the keyboard areas I mentioned. I did manage to try to wipe it off quickly so there is no major damage, but there is some dimpling on the palmrest where I wiped it off from the cloth on the right side, and the rest of the palmrest is now glossy / discoloured.

I called Lenovo directly after the accident and a lady fowarded me to another department to discuss warrenty status. The guy that was on the phone explained to me right away that I was not covered for spills and that I would have to put down a $2000 dollar credit card hold and get a tech to drive onsight to quote the charges for fixing the damage while also paying for traveling fees for the tech. I was overwhelmed by that response so I asked if I could get ahold of the parts group to get a quote on the palmrest, keyboard and touchpad parts instead of putting down a credit card hold. He pointed to a number and sent me on my way and when I called, it was a XXX hotline... Something did not add here so I called them back.

After calling Lenovo for the second time, the person on the phone was extremely nice when I explained my situation and mentioned to me all the information that was presented to me on my previous call was incorrect and that I had spill coverage under my TPP warrenty. He immediately opened a ticket number and sent out a box for depot repair which I should receive soon. I am worried though that upon arrival that this damage will be considered "cosmetic" and will not be covered and the machine will be just sent back to me.

So two questions, does anyone know if a spill like this would be covered under spill or cosmetic? Also, if the tech gets the machine and it is not covered, will i have an option to pay for part replacement of the palmrest, keyboard, and touchpad?

Any help is appreciated....

Thanks,

-Rob

Maliha

Re: Accidental Chemical Solvent Spill, Covered Under TPP contract?

[ Edited ]
Hi and welcome to the forum Rob!

The whole point of TPP is to cover accidental damages like these, I'll be surprised if they refuse to cover yours. I think the first support guy must not have realized that you've TPP. You can read more about TPP here:- http://www.lenovo.com/services_warranty/us/en/thinkpad_protection.html

Hope this helps.
------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

erik

welcome to the forum!

your best approach would be to send it in as planned and see what happens.   i don't know how caustic liquids would be handled under TPP but would personally guess that parts will be replaced given what the second tech said.

on a side note, the direct number for parts is 800-388-7080, options 2:1:1:1 (if memory serves).   if for some reason you ever need to order parts on your own, this is the number to call.

keep us posted.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Punch Card
niriven

Maliha and Erik,

Thanks for your responses, both are extremely helpful. It's good to fall back to a real parts number if needed. I just wrapped up the box and sent it out in hopes TPP covers the problem. The machine is working but the parts mentioned are a bit scuffed or melted.

I will definitally post back according to how well this goes.

Thanks,

-Rob

Punch Card
niriven

Just as an update, my machine according to EZSERV is being repaired. Parts were ordered (though not sure what parts, i just know its plural). So far this is a positive sign.

I'll provide another update when I receive the laptop. I am much less worried now though :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
niriven

Laptop came back today. I am acutally suprised how good of a job Lenovo did. Sent the thing about monday night, got it back this afternoon.

They replaced the palmrest, keyboard and even the motherboard. I was worried for some time there after all the dicussion of Lenovo support, but after this I will truely buy and support Lenovo as long as I need a laptop.

Awesome service... Thanks everyone who replied for the help.

Punch Card
mushtis

:smileyhappy: Good job lenovo