Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
LinYu
Accepted Solution

Buying a T510: Is it safe to navigate on Lenovo's website?

[ Edited ]

After posting my order for a T510 through Lenovo website, I received an email containing, among other things, a link for the purpose of checking my order status (see below).

Upon clicking on the link and after being faced with a quite suprising message, I did not procede and went though the website itself to the "Check Order Status" button link. Another surprise: the scary message pops up again!

This is the link I that leads to the same warning message as the button within the web site:

https://www.directlenovo.com/orderstatus/

No less scary is the wording in the box itself, and especially the last warning the comes up after clicking the link "I understand the risks" (which I don't...) and then clicking on "Add Exception".  Here, the warning leaves no doubts, whatsoever, by stating:

-- "You are about to override how Firefox identifies this siyte.  LEGITIMATE BANKS, STORES, AND OTHER PUBLIC SITES WILL NOT ASK YOU TO DO THIS."  

Server Location:  https://www.directlenovo.com/orderstatus/.

This site attempts to identify itself with invalid information

Certificate is not trusted because it hasn't been verified by a recognized authority...

What is going on? Can I (or rather, SHOULD I) procede to check my order staus? Can anyone please let me know if I'm the only Lenovo customer receiving this warning?

Any help regarding how to safely deal with this unusual situation will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: Buying a T510: Is it safe to navigate on Lenovo's website?

I don't think it really matters; I added the exception and it just redirected me to http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/ .

As far as I know, all order statuses are checked through the main Lenovo site rather than any branch sites.

(A bit off topic: Thanks for your clarification on my survey; it is much appreciated. I am shocked to see such huge battery degradation on your battery; my battery is now on it's 13th month and only has 6% wear.)
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
erik

it looks like the SSL certificate is having issues.   we'll flag it for investigation.   thanks for bringing it to our attention.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Token Ring
LinYu

[ Edited ]

erik wrote:

it looks like the SSL certificate is having issues.   we'll flag it for investigation.   thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Erik,

Thank you for acknowledging my plight...

However, to this moment, I still keep receiving the same exact messages as described in my first post. There's one update though: If I use Internet Explorer, I find no issues except for this lingering box that keeps popping up every minute or so, asking if I want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely. In this same box, as a way of explanation, one can still read: "This webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection, which could compromise the security of the entire webpage."

Is this all cause to be concerned or not?

IE allows me to access my lenovo account but still warns me of some undefined risks. What should I do? Do you have an idea as of when Lenovo techs may look at this issue? And again, in your own opinion, how serious is this to be considered?

One other unsettling message comes up while using IE.  When you click on the link "Printable version" on the upper right corner of your Order Status page, this amazing  message pops up inside a box:

"Message from webpage: At the moment we can't get the status of your order. Please try in a few minutes".

Isn't this lovely? I am trying to print a page, not getting the status of my order!!!... Incidentally, the order status is posted at the opposite lower side of the page and reads like this: "Status:  In process".  And those aforementioned "few minutes" are still counting, and counting, and counting...

For a company that is advertising the sale of 60 million thinkpads, isn't all this a little disheartening?

Please, give some reason to believe I'm still in good hands!

Lin Yu

IPnaSh
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 125

LinYu wrote:

Erik,

Thank you for acknowledging my plight...

However, to this moment, I still keep receiving the same exact messages as described in my first post. There's one update though: If I use Internet Explorer, I find no issues except for this lingering box that keeps popping up every minute or so, asking if I want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely. In this same box, as a way of explanation, one can still read: "This webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection, which could compromise the security of the entire webpage."

Is this all cause to be concerned or not?

IE allows me to access my lenovo account but still warns me of some undefined risks. What should I do? Do you have an idea as of when Lenovo techs may look at this issue? And again, in your own opinion, how serious is this to be considered?

One other unsettling message comes up while using IE.  When you click on the link "Printable version" on the upper right corner of your Order Status page, this amazing  message pops up inside a box:

"Message from webpage: At the moment we can't get the status of your order. Please try in a few minutes".

Isn't this lovely? I am trying to print a page, not getting the status of my order!!!... Incidentally, the order status is posted at the opposite lower side of the page and reads like this: "Status:  In process".  And those aforementioned "few minutes" are still counting, and counting, and counting...

For a company that is advertising the sale of 60 million thinkpads, isn't all this a little disheartening?

Please, give some reason to believe I'm still in good hands!

Lin Yu

@LinYu

Do you know what is a SSL certificate? Let me Google that for you and all your questions will get answered.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Token Ring
LinYu

[ Edited ]

IPnaSh wrote:@LinYu

Do you know what is a SSL certificate? Let me Google that for you and all your questions will get answered.

Hi IPnaSh,

Thank you for your troubles. No, in fact I didn't know what an SSL certificate was. Now I have a better idea. Better, but still not much good. I do understand, however, that we are talking here about server certification and all related bla, bla, bla. Fine, I'm not an IT guy, I probably don't need to know all the technology of encryption and security that lays behind the SSL certification processes and methods. Or so I believe.

But after having read the extensive materials you directed me to in Wikipedia, and since you were kind enough to bother trying to provide some help, I hope you still can add some comments of your own, making a link between all those lose ends (for me, I mean) between SSL certification and the messages I receive, both from Mozilla Firefox and from IE.

That would be really appreciated.

But that's not all. I still don't think, besides all my ignorance about SSL methodology, that the message I receive when trying to access the printable version of the Order Status page (using IE) has actually anything to do with SSL. Or does it?

And even the box I mentioned in my previous post asking if I want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely should not appear if the SSL certification was working properly, should it?  Not to mention the "stern" warnings that Firefox throws at me repeatedly, this is, at every step of my way to the "Order Status" page.

In summary, I know I have an issue, someone already said the SSL might not be working properly, which seems obvious, and the question now would be to know what Lenovo is doing or plans to do, if anything, to either correct the underlying problem OR show me a safe alternative to get to my account information.

One user already acknowledged here that he received the same messages and chose to override them. But it would be nice to know if all users of Firefox or IE receive the same kind of messages.

Incidentally, the "lock" at the bottom of the page, topped by a left-pointing arrow (a detail I'm not aware of having seen before) shows this message upon hovering with the mouse: "No items are being blocked on this page."  Interesting... Because I was under the impression that "some items not delivered securely" were being blocked, according to the option I took in my response to that question...

Thank you very much for all help you can still provide.

Lin Yu

erik

we're still investigating the issue.   in the meantime, it's safe to visit the site from a private computer if you so choose.

apologies for the confusion and inconvenience thus far.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

IPnaSh
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 125

SSL ceritficate ensure that every piece of information you send to a website (in this case, Lenovo) can't be watched by other person in the middle. It's the safest way to send information between 2 computers.

A simple example:

You are talking with a friend using a landline. If your mom pick up another phone in your house, she will heard the conversation.

The same situation, but now you and your friend are speaking in Klingon. Your mom doesn't know how to speak Klingon and she doesn't understand it. So, if she pick ups the phone, she can heard a "strange thing" that she doesn't recognice.

As erik said you can visit the site (but, of couse, don't input any credit card information). Then, when the SSL is restored you can, if you wish, change your password account.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Token Ring
LinYu

Thank you Erik and IPnaSh for your continued interest.

I will try to be cautious when accessing my account for the meantime, but I would appreciate that someone updates this thread as soon as a fix is found for this issue.

Anyway, I still think that the "Printing" issue has nothing to do with the SSL issue. Or does it?

Thanks again.

Lin Yu

Token Ring
LinYu

Update:

Besides the issues already mentioned, I just found that in page "My Account" there are six (6) different links:

-- Check my order status

-- View saved carts

-- View my wish list

-- Change account information

-- Manage my address book

-- Manage my subscriptions

Not a single one of these work; when clicked, I'm propmpted for user ID and password and afyter I click "Sign in" the site sends me back to the previous screen, which is page "My Account"....

Should I allow myself to get upset? It certainly is frustrating.

Li Yu