Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
wolfklr

Customer Service Problem

[ Edited ]

Can anyone help me resolve my issue as I am beyond frustration and don’t know where to turn.

It began with my over 3 year old Thinkpad T61p. One day I powered it on and the screen was blank and I heard one long beep and two short ones. I called Tech Support and they said that it would likely cost around $500 to repair. This is a large fraction of the cost of a new laptop. I figured computers go bad occasionally, but the T61p served me well up to this point. I require the laptop for work, so I immediately ordered a new Thinkpad W520 from Lenovo.com. Just before it arrived, I discovered online that the malfunction was a common problem with all T61p and that Lenovo, being aware of the issue, had issued a recall. I called tech support again and they informed me that the recall had ended March 31! I was not informed in any way of this inherent problem or recall, so there was no way that I could have had my T61p fixed prior to the deadline! For a brand that is supposed to have legendary reliability and customer service this was a serious failure. The tech support guy told me that he couldn’t do anything and to call customer support. I called customer support and they told me they weren’t technically trained and didn’t know anything of what I was talking about and to call tech support back.

Then I received my W520. Needing to get work done, I opened it up and turned it on to see that it was operational. I ordered it just with DOS, planning to install my own OS. Instead when I turned it on I got a link error message from the Intel boot agent and a screen with a blue menu allowing me to select the boot device (CD-Rom, HDD, or LAN). I tried the HDD option only to return to the blue menu again. What the hell is going on? If I order a machine with DOS, I expect it to come with DOS! Yes I plan to replace the operating system and yes I know exactly what DOS is, but this was very frustrating and disconcerting. Did they just forget to install DOS or is something wrong with the HDD or some peripheral? Do they just say DOS when they mean no OS? Why couldn’t the computer arrive the way I ordered it!?!

I called tech support again to discuss this issue with them. They opened up a case number and told me to call customer service. So I call customer service again and they don’t know what I’m talking about again because they are not technically trained and don’t know what DOS is.  And they certainly still can’t help me with my T61p issues. I asked to speak with a manager and they told me that there is “honestly” nothing that they can do on their end and that I need to escalate the issue through the tech support!!! I was about to lose my cool at this point. Once again, I called tech support. The guy on the other line was nice enough and spoke English well so I didn’t explode. I once again explained all of the issues that I have been having and that I was told to call them back and that I would like to speak with a manager. So he put me on hold. Minutes later, he informs me that no manager is available because they are all handling other cases but that one which can help me will arrive in a couple of hours and that he will call me back then. I found this incredibly hard to swallow but I agreed. He repeated my cell number back to me we ended the conversation.

Over 24 hours have past and I still haven’t received a call from anybody! Lenovo clearly has TERRIBLE customer service! My productivity has suffered greatly in the meantime and I can’t find anybody to speak with. Speaking with managers is not possible and there are no other phone numbers listed anywhere that I can call! All I got was the run around! I can’t even find out where the proper channels are to complain about these issues. This is the WORST customer service I have ever dealt with!

if anyone knows what I can do or where I can turn to, please let me know! I really appreciate your help.

Moderator Edit :  Subject adjusted to match actual content

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 347
Solutions: 233

Re: Customer Service Problem

wolfkir, Welcome to the forum, sorry it's under these circumstances.

Your options include:

Return it for a refund, then reorder it.

Use your service ticket and send it to service.

Install your operating system.

Using the first 2 options require that you lose your machine.

Using the 3rd one will get you productive again. Or at least determine whether the hardware is okay.  

If you wait too long, you will lose option number 1.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Broadband 3G
JDay

Just install the OS you were going to put on it in the first place, no need to contact support if you're not even going to use the FreeDOS that you ordered. Hell, you can download it for free even.

http://www.freedos.org/

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

[ Edited ]

topmahof wrote:

Using the 3rd one will get you productive again. Or at least determine whether the hardware is okay.  

The "ThinkPad Laptops with DOS" web page from Lenovo does state explicitly....

ThinkPad laptops with a DOS preload are perfectly suited for users who wish to install their preferred Open Source Operating System (e.g. Linux, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, etc.).

Lenovo systems with a DOS preload do not include a Microsoft Windows license nor the standard Lenovo software application preloads. These systems are not recommended for the average PC user. Above average technical experience with PCs and software are typically required to install the software and drivers needed to make these systems fully functional.

... which seems a pretty clear warning that there is a basic expectation that users  who chose buy a ThinkPad without Windows should understand what they are getting into when making that choice!

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Retired Employee
Serge1410

hey wolfklr,

sorry to hear on what had happen, could you pm to me the following so that I could assist

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM [machine type model]:

(Locate MTM - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find)

S/N:
Date of Purchase:
Case/Order Number : (if any)

Description of issue :

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.