Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
dzwizinski

Faulty Lenovo Hardware (USB) ports

Has anyone experienced problems with faulty USB ports on their Lenovo?  I have had my Lenovo for less than 3 months and I turned on my computer and it was stuck on the splash screen. I have been in the software business for over 15 years and have traveled all over the world with my laptops.

Support told me that the mother board was bad and that I had to send it in for repair so I did.  I just got a call from them saying that they would not cover the repair due to physical damage and that it would cost me $750 to fix the problem.  They said that the USB port was damaged and that because of this it was my responsibility to cover the expense bill!

Now this is completely ridiculous!  First of all the laptop cost about $1,100 and now they want to charge me $750 to repair what I consider a defective piece of hardware.  Prior to my Lenovo I had several Dell laptops and have traveled 100's of thousands of miles without out 1 single USB port being damaged.  I went with a Lenovo because it came from IBM and I thought the hardware would be better, I guess not.

At this point I am not at a cross road.  Do I just forget about the $1,100 that I sunk into the computer and go buy a Dell (which I have never had these types of hardware problems).  I have a really hard time paying $750 for faulty hardware and I have had the laptop for less than 3 months.  At this point I would never recommend a Lenovo to any friends, family, or colleague as the hardware seems faulty and the support contract is TERRIBLE!

Guru
outouser

Re: Faulty Lenovo Hardware (USB) ports

[ Edited ]

Did the USB port broke when you inserted usb memory stick or other usb device?

I had one broken usb memory stick that kills any pcs usb ports if its connected thats how i lost my usb ports...

Its not lenovos fault if broken device breaks pcs ports. You should contact whoever made that faulty usb device for repair costs

802.11n
TheDude

USB ports on my X40 fried after about a year. I got a replacement motherboard (corporate 3-year warranty). To tell the truth, I've had several thinkpad motherboards replaced over the years - but never catastrophic as I have experienced on an HP.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

That is the first time i have heard that they blame motherboard failure on consumers for something that occured on the usb. How did they conclude that it was the usb device you attached to the laptop that caused this motherboard failure........ what sort of damage did the usb sustained to get your warranty voided like that?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
amanduro

A similar problem at my customer  with a Thinkpad R500. After 10 months of normal use a small piece of plastic fell off one USB socket. The user didn't take notice until the OS freezed. The reason was that the plastic piece worked as an isolator and any device that had been connected to the broken port could have caused a short circuit. You could see the blank pins in the middle. But let me say that clear: NO PART OF THE SOCKET SHOWED ANY SIGNS OF PHYSICAL DAMAGE, IT SIMPLY CAME UNGLUED! I have more than 10 years experience in the IT business and hundreds of Notebooks went through my hands. Never have I seen a USB Port that just fell apart by common use. Four weeks later the second port was broken in the same way.

I interchanged photographs of damaged ports with IBM, but in the end they told us that broken parts are never covered by warranty and they didn't want to discuss that further. Finally they charged us 480 EUR for the mainboard replacement.

In my opinion either the plastic composition of the USB port was crumbly or the component was damaged before we bought the notebook. Due to the fact that Lenovo and or IBM was not willing to investigate on that case, my customer with more than 1000 employees worldwide made a decision to use different brands in the future.

Is someone having the same problem? It has nothing to do with soldering!

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 325
Solutions: 223

certain thinkpads seem to be more suseptible to faulty usb ports than others.  x40s have this problem a lot it seems.  there are a lot of them on sale on ebay that the usb ports don't work.  nothing broken, they just don't work.  windows recognizes them, but nothing you plug into them will work. the only way to fix them is to replace the board.   

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Punch Card
weavshow

Exact same thing happened to my T500. I haven't plugged anything into its USB ports that wasn't also plugged into my other laptop's, which is, wonder of wonders, still working. Only 6 months old and they're refusing to cover the warranty. Infuriating.

Punch Card
mangojaijai

lenovo had ruin the great reputation of IBM , i agree with all of you , lenovo had bad customer service, a year ago i love lenovo alot because it came from IBM, now :smileymad:

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

mangojaijai wrote:

lenovo had ruin the great reputation of IBM , i agree with all of you , lenovo had bad customer service, a year ago i love lenovo alot because it came from IBM, now :smileymad:

Firstly, Lenovo is a separate company from IBM, they only bought the IBM PC/Laptop division and its associated business/services.

Also, i have responded to your other posts on the correct method of escalating your warranty repair issue that you have, have a read. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
weavshow

Hi lead_org,

I don't see your posts on the correct method of escalating warranty repair issues. Do you happen to know where you posted that? I would absolutely love any advice you could offer at this point. Thanks!