Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
vi3t69

Re: Faulty Lenovo Hardware (USB) ports

[ Edited ]

good news is im getting a 1time repair under warranty.Bad news is lenovo wont accept there is anything wrong with their units.:smileysad:

If i get the same MB, 3 months from now ill probably have the same problems.While it's a temp short time fix, it wont help in the long haul unless they give me an updated MB,but since the R series seems to be discontinued.Sign.

Punch Card
vi3t69

I been using USB for more then 10 years,never had any problems. All of a sudden two of lenovo USB's ports failed on two different motherboard failed.Something doesnt add up.

Punch Card
vi3t69

[ Edited ]

It's like Toyota saying there's nothing wrong with our products, because nobody reported it.We sold this and this amount of unit, and  our data back it up.Blah blah.Seems like just want this this issue to die down.If i have trouble with my 3rd MB, i dont know wth ill do.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

is it this hard to put everything on one post?

I have seen this problem in a few recent T500, R500 and T400, but they were only in the initial model, later motherboards have much better usb design AFAIK. 

My R500 usb is just as good as the one on the R61... 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
vi3t69

lead_org have you seem this problem first hand? What did lenovo do about it?It's easier for them to blame it on the  consumer's end then admit it's their fault.Im hoping for a updated motherboard when i send my system in for repair.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

yes i did, they were some laptops that my friends got from an auction, which had minor issues. I also have heard this happening in couple of friends laptops, but most of those laptop were from when these models first came out. 

My R500 is okay, and i use the usb port all the time. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
wifflewarrior25

I too have this issue. About 3 weeks ago, I tried to turn on my computer and it was dead. I called Lenovo who said they would need to have me send it in since it was well under the warranty. My laptop is a ideapad u450.

So I sent it in and they had a poor english speaker from India contact me to say that the usb port was damaged and caused a short in the motherboard. Not only did he expect me to believe that, but then to top it off he said I was responsible for the replacement of a new motherboard. $300!! 

He could not explain to me how the USB could cause damage to the motherboard. I have been in the process of escalating this issue to other customer relation teams with not much luck. I cannot believe the way I have been treated. I have never heard of this issue in my 20+ years in the IT industry. 

I purchased a Lenovo for the solid build quality and the experience I had with a thinkpad about 10 years ago. Clearly, their whole reputation went down the tubes. I will NEVER buy another Lenovo and it makes me sick to think I've recommended Lenovo's to others. 

So where am I at right now? The last Lenovo person said I could not contest the damages with them or anyone at Lenovo, rather I have to speak with the store I purchased it from. As you all know, all electronics come or most anyway, with a 1 year warranty. They always say to contact the manufacturer as the store has nothing to do with it. In this case, I did as I was told. I contacted Microsoft as I purchased it from the Microsoft store and it was a breath of fresh air. Americans that had logic, spoke english. They said they would contact Lenovo on my behalf. They did and Lenovo still would not budge saying I caused the damage in the USB ports and that it is not a hardware defect. Microsoft felt bad for me as they understood how ridiculous a damaged USB port could cause such damage and said they would get back to me in regards to a solution. I'm hoping to hear back in the next day or two. I will keep you posted. 

Shame on Lenovo! You just lost one of your biggest supporters. 

Punch Card
vi3t69

[ Edited ]

my shipping box for my repair came today,Im shipping  it to toronto tommorow. Hopefully ill get it fix within 2weeks.I hope i wont have any problems like you wiffle when they check out my 2 broken usb ports.I should be okay as im in contact with a person from lenovo.Wiffle, get in touch with mark from lenovo, if you need help getting it resolved, if your current situation with microsoft doesnt work out. GL.I hate the fact that they're treating us like morons who dont know how to plug in a usb port properly.It 's their **bleep** hardware that's the problem..

What's DOS?
billyy2288

[ Edited ]

topmahof wrote:

certain thinkpads seem to be more suseptible to faulty usb ports than others.  x40s have this problem a lot it seems.  there are a lot of them on sale on ebay that the usb ports don't work.  nothing broken, they just don't work.  windows recognizes them, but nothing you plug into them will work. the only way to fix them is to replace the board.   

I also think so.

Fanfold Paper
pret83

Hi everybody. Finally I have solved my broken USB probleme. I called the only tlephone number which I have found on the lenovo website of our country (Slovakia). The operator told me to bring my notebook to IBM in our capytal city. OK, a I went there. The technicians told me, it's mechanical damage and they can't repair it in warranty, but I don't give up and force them to escalate this probleme or contact some higher level lenovo center. Then they told me they will contact the lenovo center in Slovakia and ask about it, but they told for 99% they don't repair my notebook in warranty, due to mechanical damage. Ok, I thougth, they just want to shake off me, but 1 day later I got an email, that the lenovo accept my claim on warranty repair. Even if I succesfully solved it, I am also disappointed about build quality of the notebook. So I will hardly buy another lenvo product and I don't advice this brand for others. It's not the IBM quality enymore. Every new series is worst then the previous in terms of quality...