Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
VW_Lupo_TD

Re: Faulty Lenovo Hardware (USB) ports

the system board is ~$500 on the aftermarket. (example for an X200).

with the HMM (Hardware Maintenance Manual) you could easily replace this yourself

if it came to that. this is the reason why i would never send something like that in.

first of all it takes forever and second of all you cannot talk to a person directly.

how in gods name could you have destroyed a USB port and the system board at the same time ?

it is easy to get away with accusations like that over the phone, try saying something like that to a persons face without havin a notebook in front of you that was 3 USB things stuck in one port or something obvious like that.

Also make sure you have a bootable floppy disk or CD so you can change the System Unit serial number afterwards.

the bootable disk is called the hardware maintenance floppy or something like that.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

weavshow wrote:

Hi lead_org,

I don't see your posts on the correct method of escalating warranty repair issues. Do you happen to know where you posted that? I would absolutely love any advice you could offer at this point. Thanks!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/lenovo-repair-center-broke-my-computer/m-p/205...

it may not fully apply to you, but this is how you would escalate an issue using the standard channel. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
weavshow

As an update to anyone having similar problems

The depot took pictures of the damage, and my excellent deductive reasoning skills led me to this conclusion: the plastic part of the USB port came unglued (or something) and was stuck in a memory stick I had used before. I'm sure it wasn't the fault of the stick, as I'd used it with multiple machines many times before without problems. I didn't notice the plastic piece come out, so I later tried to put some other USB device in there. Without the plastic bit to guide it in, it bent/broke the pins. At the time, I didn't think anything of the fact that it wasn't going right in - I just moved on to the next port, into which it fit perfectly.

Sadly, the good folks at the depot or wherever I called refuse to acknowledge that something like this could happen. It's being escalated up to the IBM people, who I hope will be able to clearly see that the plastic bit wasn't properly secured, leading to the damage of the pins.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

weavshow,

Please see my PM.   I think we can help ...Sorry that you have had this trouble.    I'm going to also offer the following comments, but am not blaming you for the failure.....

As a general comment, be careful with USB devices, memory keys, etc attached to USB ports when moving systems around.  Veritical oriented ports can be slightly more susceptable to damage from stress aplied front to rear  along the thin axis of the plastic island in the usb port.  I.e. if the USB key is sticking out the left side and you reach around the system and snag the sleeve of your jacket on it...

Horizontal oriented USB ports are more likely to be damaged by vertical loads on attached usb keys, etc.   This probably occurs less frequently when systems are placed on a table.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
What's DOS?
hjafree

I have had the exact same problem with my T400 which I bought in Nov 2009. After 3 months of use, a small piece of plastic fell off one USB socket. A week later, it the same with the second USB port. LET ME SAY THIS AS WELL - My USB stick is not defective and is working fine with my dell computer (provided by employer) and my personal desk top. NO PART OF THE SOCKET SHOWED ANY SIGNS OF PHYSICAL DAMAGE, IT SIMPLY CAME OFF! I have had at least 4 dell laptop computers before I got myself a Lenovo. Never have I seen a USB Port that just fell apart by common use.

When I called in the customer service, I was told that it would be fixed under warranty and hence I had to ship my computer. Two days later I get a call from a customer service representative telling me that they would charge me $750 to fix this manufacturing defect. Please note that I paid $1,200 for the computer in November 2009.

I am hugely disappointed in Lenovo. I guess they could not keep up with the IBM quality. I am also not sure if someone on the other side is paying attention to customers and their complaint pattern. I hope they learn before they get into a "Toyota" situation.

I intend to write to the Lenovo executives. I will keep all readers of this string updated with my progress.

Fanfold Paper
pret83

Hi. I have the same probleme on my R500 bought in September 2009. This is definitly caused by bad quality of these USB ports. I have used USB ports for 10 years, also on my old notebook and never happend such thing. Now 2 of 3 USB ports are broken on my Thinkpad R500. One damaged when pulling out USB mouse, another by printer USB cable. Is there a chance on repairing it in waranty for free? (I'am from Slovakia).

Fanfold Paper
Never2Many

[ Edited ]

Yes, the same thing has happened to my wife's computer, she's down two ports now. At first I thought she had abused it, after the second one I no longer believe this to be the case. Both of us have used laptops forever and have never experienced a failure of the USB port in any computer we have used, with the exception of this Lenovo.

I just found this post when I was checking to see if Lenovo had taken responsibility for this issue. See my original thread at: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-and-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/R500-Won-t-boot-past-the-logo-screen/m-p...

Several others have had the same problem. Wonder just how wide spread this is?

Punch Card
vi3t69

im having the same problems. this is my 2nd motherboard due to the same problem.Never once using dell have a had this issue.Two of my three usb port doesnt work,the one remaining works because i never unplug it,This is faulty USB DESIGN ON LENOVO PART. im out of warrantly since JUNE. mark_lenovo, i hope you can help me.
Punch Card
vi3t69

bump. ....................

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

vi3t69,

Please send me a private message with your contact details and your system model and serial number and we'll see what can be done.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество