Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
durian

Fingerprint Reader Problem

[ Edited ]

Hello everone I was hoping for advice on how do diagnose why the fingerprint reader isn't working. I recently sent in my ThinkPad T410 for repair for the 4th time in 4 months. Now my fingerprint reader is no longer working.

Fingerprint reader is enabled in the bios. Is there another part I overlooked?

No led fingerprint reader lights display.

In Control Panel Biometric Devices: "Windows did not find any control panel biometrics"

ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software: "Cannot find fingerprint sensor device"

Removed and reinstalled ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software and still didn't work.

Threw in a spare SATA and installed a virgin Windows 7 did not work either.

Am I missing something simple?

ThinkPad T410 2516CTO

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit "Lenovo pre-installed image"

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Fingerprint Reader Problem

Reboot, press F1 to enter BIOS setup, go to the security menu, and look in IO Port Access to ensure that fingerprint is not disabled there.

Next thing to do is take the palmrest off and check to make sure the ribbon cable going to the fingerprint reader is plugged in.  The hardware maintenance manual explains how to do that.  Or else send it back in for warranty service.

SCSI Port
durian

I'll doublecheck the BIOS setting tonight.

Would removing the palmrest violate the warranty? I will have to send it back regardless of whether the fingerprint reader is fixed by this or not. The left speaker still does not work properly. If I disassemble it I fear the warranty would be voided and that would let it go unrepaired. After 4 attempts to repair it by Lenovo i'm pretty determined to have a fully functional laptop.

SCSI Port
durian

@someotherguy

Checked the BIOS. It was enabled aleady.

Broadband 3G
JDay

durian wrote:

I'll doublecheck the BIOS setting tonight.

After 4 attempts to repair it by Lenovo i'm pretty determined to have a fully functional laptop.

After 3 attempts to fix the same problem they are required under federal lemon laws to either replace the system with a new system or give you a full refund, should you request it.

SCSI Port
durian

[ Edited ]

I thought lemon laws only applied to used cars. Is there any precedent when it comes to computer manufacturers?