Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
rayb

Re: How do I get rid of the SPAM Popup Ad for an External HDD

[ Edited ]

Mark, thanks for helping.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here and say that using Message Center as a vehicle for marketing is an absolutely unacceptable practice, and needs to cease immediately. The message center should be a tool to inform users of critical information needed to ensure smooth operation of their devices. Abusing the user's trust under any sort of false pre-text is absolutely enraging at best, and downright illegal at worst.

Additionally, and equally as important is the reality that Lenovo needs to stop dumping sole responsibility of reporting on this site to Mark and the one or two other admins here,  and provide a dedicated TEAM of people to seek and ACT on critical customer feedback. Major software companies, both developers and publishers, like Electronic Arts, Valve, and so-on, use their forums as a critical bug management and feedback tool. Lenovo needs to jump on board with these innovations.

Home user or business user, both catagories of buyers need, deserve and often DEMAND rapid response to issues. I am of the feeling that Mark can only relay so much information at once.

JaneL

rayb wrote:

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here and say that using Message Center as a vehicle for marketing is an absolutely unacceptable practice, and needs to cease immediately.

Have you received a marketing message lately?

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Blue Screen Again
rayb

Up until both message center and message center plus were uninstalled earlier today, yes. I presume many of the adds were one that were not removed, as I understand that direct marketing stopped a little while ago...

The point remains however, even though my issue has been "solved" (though deleting the software doesn't really constitute a solution in my books) that Lenovo needs to take this very seriously. I read the "Apology" that we received, and it seemed more like a mater-of-fact token "oops, you caught us" reply, more than it did an apology.

I don't not think for a second that it is unrealistic to expect that Lenovo could possibly take a second, and constructively put together a response to the original issue, that would extened to us, the foundation of their business model, a genuine apology for intruding on our trust in such a perverse way.

The decision to turn their principle method of delivering critical update information and genuinely important notices into a conduit to dump their tacky pop-up ads goes so far beyond what they described as simply "an inconvenience" that it hurts. The decision was INAPPROPRIATE, and it should be recognized as such.

"Mistakes are a great educator when one is honest enough to admit them, and willing to learn from them"

Punch Card
fotsir

I came here seeking relief from message center so I thought I'd drop my two cents into the bucket.

It's stupid; get rid of it.

I hate it deeply. When I uncheck the autostart box in preferences, right click the tray icon and close it, if I then open it via the start menu, THE AUTO START BOX RECHECKS ITSELF! ARGH! The only way I've found to keep it from opening is via msconfig or windows defender.

Bad move.

In fact, while I'm talking about it, it's occurred to me that most of the thinkvantage programs overlap with windows and though may offer some advantages, generally has been poorly executed. Does Lenovo really need to split ThinkVantage into FIFTEEN OR MORE separate programs, at least THIRTEEN of which run at startup? Are these helping me or your products to work better? I'd argue not.

Less is more.

Retired Guru
fmyhr

fotsir wrote:

Does Lenovo really need to split ThinkVantage into FIFTEEN OR MORE separate programs, at least THIRTEEN of which run at startup?

At the risk of going off-topic, I'd just like to point out that the philosophy of "do one thing, and do it well" has served Unix very well. It's usually considered the antidote to bloatware. So I personally don't have a problem with ThinkVantage software coming as umpteen separate programs; I think it's preferable to one GIANT program. It's easy to uninstall the individual ThinkVantage programs that aren't wanted. (And getting back to topic, Message Center is one of these, for me.)

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Fotsir,

We haven't been pushing messages since I noted we backed the messages off our server as far as I know, so I'm unsure why you would be seeing anything at this point through the applications.  Odd. :smileysurprised:

Maybe it's best to just uninstall them completely?

You make an interesting point about the TVTs.  I think they were seen as an opportunity to differentiate the Lenovo experience, and to provide additional value beyond the base hardware.  At the time they were first conceived, many of them addressed ease of use or capability gaps in the operating system, or added some additional features / functions when compared to the built in Windows functions.  As Windows has evolved through XP, Vista, and now we are on the verge of Windows 7, I think we are re-examining many of these.   Matt Kohut blogged about this fairly recently and it will be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming months.

Rayb,

Fair feedback. 

I think we are listening more than is obviously evident - we adjusted course on TVSU, and have honestly re-thought how MCP was being used.   While the complaints and criticisms are evident on this thread, the sales during the same interval as people took advantage of the 20% option / accessory discount were actually pretty surprising - so some found the content positive.   Still, we've left the messages off, so I think we took the feedback here and on the other sites to heart.  Your feedback mattered. 

On the heels of this and TVSU, I think a lot of people were looking for a "fall on your sword" level of apology.   Corporations are large organizations, and sometimes crafting an official response that is going to represent the company is an exercise in which a lot of people are involved - subject matter experts, marketers, PR, Communications, etc.  Each of these areas have a particular focus or perspective on the issue being discussed and thoughts on what the response should cover and how.  

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
fotsir

fmyhr, I agree that one giant program would be a bad thing, because that would leave the impression that it's all or nothing; each individual program holds benefits. But I still feel that fifteen, seventeen if you count the lenovo services folder in the start menu, is too many (it's one fourth of the total number of programs that came installed on my R400). I'd say between three and six is ideal. At the least, reducing the number of programs will reduce the appearance of overzealousness on the part of thinkvantage.

Furhermore, addressing removing individual programs, to me the programs are all integrated in some ways already. Just open productivity manager and you'll see that a lot of the individual programs are linked from the menu. I uninstalled message center and there's still an area at the bottom labeled message center, for example.

I agree with the ideas behind thinkvantage, I'm sure many users have enjoyed the benefits that it continues to hold, and I don't hold a grudge against the people behind it, because they sure did more than what I could have, and these issues are specks in the big picture

But as an outsider, a user, working with the results, I wanted to offer my input to the conversation, because Lenovo to me is an excellent product and would be all the better with a couple more wrinkles ironed out. Onward and upward, I mean.

Retired Guru
fmyhr

Just open productivity manager and you'll see that a lot of the individual programs are linked from the menu. I uninstalled message center and there's still an area at the bottom labeled message center, for example.

I think Productivity Manager allows you to customize which links it shows... (?)

But as an outsider, a user, working with the results, I wanted to offer my input to the conversation, because Lenovo to me is an excellent product and would be all the better with a couple more wrinkles ironed out. Onward and upward, I mean.

I'll drink to onward and upward!

Lenovo does listen to our opinions, that's one of the best things about this forum. Thank you for taking time to post your observations. :smileyhappy:

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
What's DOS?
Flatpik

[ Edited ]

I've now wasted 45 minutes reading about this issue and I still haven't found an answer to getting these unwanted, crap, SPAM pop-up messages off my Lenovo G550 PC. 

I've seen a number of comments about something called "Message Center".  I find no application with this name in Control Panel / Installed Programs.  

Lenovo - How do I remove your intrusive, unwanted Adware Spam?

Paper Tape
wapu

so, I am the first of my company to try out a Lenovo Thinkpad. I will keep the name private, but we install hardware and software for about 4,500 clients in North America. I have it set up and I am showing the Director of Development and COO Windows 7 Pro running on this machine out of the box and we get a pop up trying to sell us something!? 

The thinkvantage opens to a shop now link? Another application opens to a Lenovo shopping mall? Sorry, but it's not looking good for my evaluation. Here is hoping the hardware will benchmark high enough to overcome the out of the box spam.