Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,306
Solutions: 283

Re: Lenovo, please stop spamming me on my own computer

[ Edited ]

MisterTablit,

That sounds pretty frustrating.   Does this seem to be coming from the Message Center Plus application?  If so, are there multiple message in the window?   Can you scroll to view additional messages?

Message Center Plus may continue to display messages if there are messages that have not been viewed.  

Can you take a screen capture next time this pops Up ?  Would you be willing to email it to me so we can understand this better?  

Obviously, we don't want to alienate our customers by providing messages which are no value.

Best regards,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 06-22-2009 11:19 AM

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Guru
hausman

Mark, a screen capture of the original spam that started this thread is here (posted by user Ursus.) It's not a standard Message Center Plus message and doesn't get saved in MCP but rather pops-up in the lower right of my screen. What's also puzzling is I have two ThinkPads running 24x7 that have MCP installed but only one of them got the pop-up. And of course, since I'm in Canada I can't take advantage of the 20% off offer.

cu619

Mark,

This is not only frustrating, it is spam on my desktop.  If I wanted Lenovo marketing messages to popup every couple of hours, I would have told you about it.  Checking "Don't show this again" does nothing as the message continuously returns.  It's bad enough that Lenovo would do this at all.  I am furious enough that I bothered to create an account.

I am considering removing the application completely from my computer to get rid of this.  This type of behavior makes me wonder what type of other monitoring and snooping this program is doing on my computer.  Can you assure us that this program is not reporting information back to Lenovo?

What is the purpose of this program and how will it impact my system if I remove it?

Thanks,

John

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,306
Solutions: 283

cu619,

I can assure you that Message Center Plus is not passing information back to Lenovo about your system.  Messages are made available within the system and are presented if a specified set of conditions exist on the customer's system.

The type of messages can vary - there is capability to communicate alerts targeted for specific types of systems, customer sets, or advisory and suggestive messages based on specific conditions on the client system. 

As a point of clarification, which message are you continuing to receive as a pop-up even after selecting "Don't show this again"?   Is it just the same window, or the exact same message?   Which message?

We are looking into these reports, and would like to ensure the application is functioning correctly.

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
dcpugh

Mark:

This is getting pretty frustrating. The first instance for me was the external hard drive offer and now is is a 20% off Lenovo branded accessories.  They should not be popping up to begin with, but the same window continues to pop up even after you check the box for "Do not show this message again."

How do I turn this off?

Dayle Pugh

Guru
hausman

> How do I turn this off?

I don't know if this will work but when I click the Message Center icon in my Toolbar there's an option to "Hide bubble messages" as shown here.

dcpugh

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

Dayle

Fanfold Paper
bgelb

Dear Mark -

Please let me explain how far beyond "frustrating" this is. The correct functionality of this product is not displaying messages with "value," but rather it should not be displaying any messages, period. I am so furious that you would abuse the automatic update ability of the ThinkVantage suite to sneakily load adware onto my machine. Words would not really make clear how upsetting this is to me. I feel totally betrayed as a customer.

I have purchased three Thinkpads in recent years, and recommended them to countless friends as world class machines. This is what I get in return? You using my screen as a bill board for your crap, without so much as asking permission?

I'm not meaning to shoot the messenger here, as you probably didn't invent this scheme, er, scam, yourself, so if I can make my complaint heard more loudly by making it in another channel, please do tell me.

Ben 

What's DOS?
andrewmb

Mark,

I would like to add my voice to this problem. I have had ThinkPad computers for over 10 years and have never encountered anything as irritating as this. As noted by others, even when I check the box to "Do not show this message again", the message continues to pop up intermittently.  When I contacted ThinkPad support, they said they only deal with hardware issues.  Please tell all of us what to do.  If you need me to send you a screen shot of the pop-up, I can do so.

andrewmb

zilla
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 14

[ Edited ]

All,

it seems to me all the reports of the problem come from North American customers. For sure I havn't had the problem since System Update (SU) installed Message Center Plus (MCP) on June 1 here in Sweden. So I think the problem is probably country specific

hausman,

you report only one of your two Thinkpads in Canada has the problem. Is there a difference between the address registered, IP address or similar for the two machines?

Secondly, could somebody please confirm that uninstalling MCP stops the spamming -- go to Control Panel -- Add/remove programs and uninstall MCP -- leave Message Center (MC) installed to verify that the culprit is MCP and not MC.

I have been looking at my history in both SU and Update Retriever (UR)  and it looks like SU might not reinstall MCP next time you run it -- it looks like it might have been a one time install when SU updated itself to start working again after June 1. So could you after you uninstall MCP please confirm if next time you run SU, it tries to reinstall MCP or not.

If SU does want to reinstall MCP, click on the plus button to expand the entry for it and choose hide (instead of install.) This will stop SU from listing MCP as an install candidate next time you run it.

Message Edited by zilla on 2009-06-24 11:58 AM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.