Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
-anti-theft--
Accepted Solution

How to block a stolen lenovo laptop?

2 days ago, my Lenovo 3000 G230 was stolen....

my question is, is it possible to block my laptop even though there was no installed software used for anti-theft?

is it possible to track it?

please, anyone, please reply...

i really don't know what to do....

my laptop has password, but i dont think it's enough to secure it...the theft must reformat in order for him to use it....

Paper Tape
Christina

Re: How to block a stolen lenovo laptop?

Hi,

3 days ago someone stole my laptop too. I am thinking of reporting this to the police, but could you please tell me if there is something that Lenovo can do for that? I don't know, maybe track the laptop somehow, or at least verify that the laptop is still inside the country, don't know.

Anyway, please inform us if you can,

thank you in advance.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

you can block the laptop from using the warranty service by calling lenovo service, but they can't track it for you. Unless you have lojack installed that tracks the laptop IP number everytime it gets used on web. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Token Ring
draco2527

I am not sure how it works in other countries, I can give you an idea on how the service works here. This is from personal experience and it was some years ago. Maybe things have changed, contacting customer service with all information detailed below would be THE FIRST THING I would have done.

1-Get a police report ASAP

a-Always make sure to keep model/type and serial number in a "safe"location and available (send an email to yourself...yahoo, etc and you can bring this information up when you need it...this comes in handy when away from home.) Corporate users should take note also, your IT dept. might not be able to provide you with this information on "short notice".

2- Make sure you have all this information when contacting Lenovo:

a- Address of Police Station w/phone #

b-Report #

c- Name of officer that took the report

d- Phone number for officer above(usually an officer will take the report and assign it to a detective)

If you are a cororate user, provide this information to the person responsible within your organization. Sometimes foreign reports do not include this information.

To keep in mind for the "road warrior"! Because the laptop case has pockets, etc. it does not mean you can keep your passport, cash and other important documentation with/in it. Remember, if it looks like a "laptop case" than someone is out to get it...(this has not happened to me personally, but working in IT for large corporations I think I have heard it all.)

Currently own: X220T, X201, X200, T61 X2, X61T X3

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

-anti-theft-- wrote:

my question is:

is it possible to block my laptop even though there was no installed software used for anti-theft?

is it possible to track it?

The answer is no to both questions.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
Christina

Thanx

I just wanted to thank everyone for replying to this!

Thanx! :smileyvery-happy:

802.11n
TheDude

Re: Thanx

I think the answer is possibly.

If you have remote desktop or other corporate IT software installed that allow the machine to be accessed remotely there may be something that your IT departmetn can do.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Blue Screen Again
san9

I have three laptop stolen from my home on August 5, 2010 1) Lenovo, N100, 15.4", silver machine type - model : 0768-A53 Part Number: L3FA839 Serial Number: L3FA839 2) HP Pavilion dv4-2140us Serial Number: CND0111QYS Product Number: WA888VA 3) Acer Aspire Netbook -10.1" Not opened from the box Please please ...let me know if you find it.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

san9 wrote:
I have three laptop stolen from my home on August 5, 2010 1) Lenovo, N100, 15.4", silver machine type - model : 0768-A53 Part Number: L3FA839 Serial Number: L3FA839 2) HP Pavilion dv4-2140us Serial Number: CND0111QYS Product Number: WA888VA 3) Acer Aspire Netbook -10.1" Not opened from the box Please please ...let me know if you find it.

Firstly, the serial number should never be posted on the public forum. Also, there is no way Lenovo can track your N100, since it doesn't have the IP tracking software installed. And furthermore, you should contact Acer and HP regarding the other two respective machine. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
sonicfeathers

Mods, if the use of the referred contact is illegal, please delete it?

Lead_org, even though you don't work for them or MS, you seem pretty knowledgeable. May I ask if, as far as you know, that the Z570 has the tracking software within it? 

Fine time to find it but if everyone here tells their mates that this company exists http://locatemylaptop.com/  it would make every poor & sad bereft owner here feel a glimmer of hope & that much better. Why sales people don't mention it is beyond me! The service is FREE & we (I speak for all of us), wouldn't have the frustration of lost data - that we live with today. When I buy my new Lenovo, it will be one of the first programs installed and remote access will be enabled.

Cheers!