Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
drgnangel
Accepted Solution

I never received my warranty

Hello,

I bought a ThinkPad T420 two weeks ago and I received it last week.  I like it for the most part, but the warranty that I purchased that cost me approximately $182 was never activated.  I looked up my machine and under its serial number, it shows that I only have the default 1-year depot warranty, with no ThinkPad protection, no on-site service, and no 3-year extension!

My brother called Lenovo and asked them about it, and they told him to contact their Warranty department tomorrow.  The trouble is, he also works for an IT department that deals with Lenovo laptops and he says that this has been happening very recently with a lot of customers, where they buy warranties but are not given the proper warranty that they purchased.  This is just unacceptable!  We spent nearly $200 and we were never given the correct warranty?  And I read on this forum that other people's warranty purchases were also never honored?

He does not know what the end fates of those customers' laptops were, if their warranties were either honored by Lenovo in the end or something else...

I'm sorry, but if he and Lenovo do not reach an agreement tomorrow, then we might just return this laptop and take our business to Apple.  Both of us have had very positive experiences with ThinkPads up until now, especially with Lenovo's service as compared to other vendors.  And in addition to this issue, we also need this warranty to have its panel replaced (it is that cruddy AUO screen; for the work that we are going to do with it, we cannot accept the screen door effect that is present on it).

Sorry, I ranted a little bit here.  But this is completely unexpected.  Has anyone else experienced this with Lenovo recently?  I would...really not want to buy an Apple, because we have six cats in our house and I don't think a MacBook would be able to survive the stuff that they do!

Guru
dragnoak

Re: I never received my warranty

drgnangel,

AFAIK it "might" take, up to 30 days to get the warranty to register, at their web-site. I bought a Lenovo Y470, and it took me 2-3 weeks. After it was, I was able to receive a Part Number 78Y1540 spreadsheet, that was my 3 year, on site, warranty. After checking at the warranty site, my status shows as this:

WarrantyWebSite.PNG

Patience is the key.

Cheers,

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT
Lenovo Y470 085525U 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor ( 2.00GHz 1333MHz 6MB )
IdeaCentre A520 Intel® Core™ i5-3230M processor ( 2.60GHz 2600MHz 3MB )
Punch Card
drgnangel

[ Edited ]

Uh, no...  If that was true, then it would be a very bad limitation on Lenovo's part.  What if I needed service within this "waiting" period, for example?  It doesn't make sense for Lenovo to, intentionally or accidentally, delay the activation of my warranty for another 2-3 weeks!  And in any case, we haven't historically had this negative experience with Lenovo (and IBM, when ThinkPads were still manufactured by them) until now; our warranties were always immediately honored and activated.

If this was an isolated case, I would think it to merely be an oversight.  However, hearing the complaints of a university full of students and professors owning Lenovos, in addition to my own, seems to indicate that this is a systematic error.  This actually throws eggs on both of our faces, because we have always recommended Lenovo laptops to friends, family, and strangers, who have asked us for recommendations.

With all hope, we can resolve this with Lenovo tomorrow and resume our healthy relationship with them.  If not, then I'm afraid that we will have to return this, because technically already one-and-a-half weeks have passed in our 21-day return period (since I believe Lenovo also counts shipping time as part of it...I could be wrong on this).

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Just as FYI:

a) Unless the LCD is defective, it won't be replaced. Garbage-quality-panel is not deemed to be a sufficient reason for under-warranty-replacement.

b) I've had delays in warranty activation where the added aspect would not show online, but would be in the system, and honoured as such. YMMV.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Punch Card
drgnangel

ajkula66,

Actually, when I first ordered the laptop EZServ claimed that they would be able to replace the panel.  This was confirmed when my brother contacted Lenovo today; except that when he tried to arrange an on-site replacement, they told him that only depot service was available.  That was when we realized its warranty was never activated...so it's not just a website error I guess.

If it won't be replaced, then I can only assume Lenovo's customer service has outright lied to me.  I would never expect this level of dishonesty from Lenovo (that honor is reserved for HP and Dell...), but according to other posts here, I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised?

I hope, at least, that this is just cynicism at work here.

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

I haven't seen your LCD so I can't say much about it but my experience - going back to A2x/T2x/X2x generation - as well as for the current models (I own several ThinkPads that are still under warranty, although none of them is as new as yours) is this:

a) If there's a defect within the panel (dead pixels, hair particles, dust specs, bad column row drivers...) it will be replaced with few or no questions asked.

b) If the panel itself is a low-quality example that technically has no defects, depot will not replace it.

As always, YMMV.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Punch Card
radiskull

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't take it to apple.  Look  Apple sucks baad.  I doubt they changed things since I had dealins with them but they have just as underhanded and shisty tactics as anybody else.

As far as the warranty goes, I get the impression the only reason for the impomptu warranty need is because maybe it supported either some sort of guaranteed replacement or physical damage and well it happened.

Outside of that I understand you paid two hundred dollars.  Isn't the warranty from date of purchase?  and you have something showing the extended warranty.  So you have a year right to get this resolved?  Of course if I were you I'd be pissed after the second month

Punch Card
drgnangel

[ Edited ]

ajkula66: Thank you.  I will see how things go tomorrow.  Admittedly, I might be judging Lenovo a bit too early here, but part of my irate behavior is because I didn't listen to the other people who complained (because after all, I've always had very positive experiences with Lenovo), and because I am on a sort of a time limit.  So naturally, I was rather disappointed when we found this warranty issue out.

radiskull: Heh...  I was being...partially facetious when I mentioned Apple.  I really would like to keep the ThinkPad, because other than its screen quality, I'm pretty confident that it is built well, and it is solid enough to stand six cats trampling over it.  Which is something that I can't exactly trust other laptops to do! (besides breaking down by themselves...like oh so many Dell and HP laptops that I've seen)  A friend of mine is a rabid Apple-fanboy though, and he insisted that Apple's service would outmatch Lenovo's...for a few hours, I almost thought he was right.

The reason why I want this screen replaced is because I work with both 2D and 3D graphics, and so the (very visible) screen door on my T420 is just not acceptable for that task.

But again...I'll see.  I'll report back when me or my brother find something out.  Sorry if I was too harsh to everyone!

Punch Card
drgnangel

There is another thing that I would like to know, too.

If Lenovo would not replace an LCD monitor because it is of extremely low quality, does it not beg the question of why that LCD is even packaged in the first place?  Are they trying to cut corners, and shift the blame to the customer for buying their laptop?  If so, then that is a very bad business practice by Lenovo itself, and I think worthy of reporting this company to the Better Business Bureau.

My frustration isn't toward all of you, but the management in charge of these decisions.  I would hope that Lenovo could be a good business and honor their promises of quality products (meaning no garbage LCDs) and full service, but if I am shafted because I bought a laptop for almost $1800 - and its screen is lower in quality than a $500 consumer laptop from HP - then I have the right to be angry for being sold garbage.

Punch Card
drgnangel

Well, we've contacted Lenovo, and it turns out that ajkula66 was right, and EZServ/sales did lie to us.  ...welp.

There is really nothing more that we can do of this I suppose.  We've decided to return the T420 and bring our business to another vendor, once we have our money back.  Thank you for your help everyone - I guess Lenovo's apple has fallen very far from IBM's tree over these years.