Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
benceteo

LENOVO CUSTOMER CARE? WARRANTY? NON-EXISTENT!!!!!

When my MacBook died on a business trip in China, I thought I'd buy a "reliable" Lenovo U110.

Although the system was Chinese language Vista, I wasn't concerned because the authorised Lenovo reseller said I could just call up Lenovo and get the English language software and drivers. BIG MISTAKE.

Called Lenovo US. They said they can't do anything to help me because it was bought outside the US.

Called Lenovo Hong Kong (it is part of China right?). Customer care said that because it was bought in Beijing they couldn't help me either. She said I should BUY MYSELF an English version of Vista instead. Okay... what about getting the English language Lenovo software and drivers disks (like EasyCapture, Veriface and Shuttle Centre)? Sorry they told me. Bought in China. We can't help you. Their recommendation? Return your computer, get money back and then ORDER ENGLISH an English language Lenovo from Hong Kong. Yeah right.

Called up China Lenovo. They said (in Chinese... they don't speak English), surprise surprise, they had no English language versions of any of the drivers, Lenovo software or Vista. At least the customer care staff took the time to go through all the drivers I needed to download online and genuinely seemed like they wanted to help (unlike the US or Hong Kong customer care).

So, without paying paying for another copy of "English" Vista from a retailer, then download the English drivers, and BTW Lenovo software is not available for download... I'm stuck with a $2000 Chinese language Lenovo paperweight.

Oh... And was told if my new Lenovo U110 breaks down I need to send it back to Beijing.  Can't even pay to get it repaired if I'm overseas.

Thanks for nothing Lenovo!
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: LENOVO CUSTOMER CARE? WARRANTY? NON-EXISTENT!!!!!

[ Edited ]
Actually during initial installation someone said that you can choose which language you want Vista in, i think you need to reinstall Vista. Also if that don't work you can just download a English Vista ISO from the web and use your legitmate Serial number to activate the OS, regarding the driver i am not too sure, but there is a driver folder with all your driver in it, download it into a usb and use that later.
Message Edited by wjli2 on 08-11-2008 05:49 PM
Paper Tape
benceteo

Yes thank you for your reply.

I'm just praying my Lenovo never actually physically breaks down as it's totally impractical having to send my new system back to China for repairs.  Lenovo US won't repair overseas models, even if you offer to pay for the repair.

Unfortunately, the reseller I bought my Lenovo from had no English language software whatsoever.  The Lenovo U110 came pre-loaded in Chinese and I wasn't able to choose what language I wanted.  I went to a dozen Lenovo re-sellers in China and no one had English language versions of Vista, the Lenovo software or drivers.  Neither did Lenovo Customer Care China ("sorry, we only have Chinese language").  And Lenovo Hong Kong refused to help because I bought my computer in China.

You're right about re-installing Vista.  Unfortunately, the licence key on the bottom of the Lenovo isn't activated and I've had to call Microsoft to activate it.  But they don't want to activate the key so that I can install the English language version ("the licence is only for the Chinese language version").

The drivers are okay... I spent a couple of days finding and downloading the drivers from the Lenovo website (the link to OneKey was found on a blog, not on the Lenovo website, and ended up at 400 MB).

The EasyCapture, Shuttle Centre etc. Lenovo software are not available online.  Lenovo re-sellers in Singapore and HK have offered to "copy" them for me for $80.

I can understand the Vista licencing issue, but can't understand why Lenovo won't send me or even allow me to buy their English language driver and software disks.  So I've spent two days finding (try to find the "OneKey driver" on the Lenovo website) and downloading drivers, and not been able to even buy copies of English language Lenovo software.

In short, I'm at a loss to understand the lack of international customer support for Lenovo customers (imagine having your notebook crash when travelling and not having any customer care whatsoever).  With every other notebook I've purchased from Sony, Apple and HP, I've at least been able to bring the computer into the local authorised repairer and pay for a repair (with Apple providing "free" repair if under warranty).  With Lenovo, I'm left with no customer support whatsoever, even for a simple thing like getting an installation CD, or being able to download the pre-loaded Lenovo software.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

Beneceteo,

Sorry to hear that this has been a frustrating experience for you.  

While we all could envision more global purchase, usage and support scenarios, our present product marketing and support structures for the Idea products are country specific.   There are minor variances in the offered models to meet the different market and price points of customers sets in various countries.

We do offer international warranty coverage for many of our ThinkPad products today.

Here is a link to the support page for the US U110 model for the available driver downloads.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
Ryton

Benceteo,

Over years, my experiences with IBM and now Lenovo Customer Care/Support are the same. No real interest in helping! That's why our company will no longer allow their products in the door.

Token Ring
LukeD

[ Edited ]

Ryton wrote:

Benceteo,

Over years, my experiences with IBM and now Lenovo Customer Care/Support are the same. No real interest in helping! That's why our company will no longer allow their products in the door.

So, why do you spend your valuable time on this forum? IBM and Lenovo products are not allowed in your company's door, but using their online services is acceptable. That is very interesting.

Message Edited by LukeD on 08-11-2008 03:50 PM
MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

For a Lenovo product, like for anything else, goes the same old routine: research before you buy...and make sure that what you're getting will serve your purposes, including the warranty coverage that follows the unit...
Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
Ryton

A friend asked if I could look into repairing/upgrading their failed NetVista 6276-31U (See separate unanswered RFH post). After recapping its substandard mainboard (bulging/leaking electrolytics) it is again functional. The owner tried to get the upgrade info from Lenovo without success so I posted a RFH here. Otherwise, I wouldn't be wasting my valuable time... Cheers.
ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

@Ryton:

What you fail to mention in your post is the fact that the "substandard mainboard" also happens to be 8-9 years old...so no wonder that there are issues with it... for stuff this old, you're on your own with any manufacturer, and IBM still (if one knows where to look) provides more support than anyone else...this is coming from someone who owns a perfectly functional '95 701C...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Token Ring
LukeD

Fair enough, Ryton.

You should stick around and see what you can learn. The breadth and depth of helpful information that is available on this forum is truly unparalleled. You may even find a strong case for trying Lenovo products again!

MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**